Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,533   Posts: 1,543,995   Online: 1019

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Holga type filter

I'm trying to figure out what will mimic a "Holga look" but on a digital camera, in other words a filter for my lens.

Any ideas?
    Live and Let Live

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    If you're shooting with a DSLR, just get a cheap UV filter and lightly smear Vaseline on the perimeter of the filter...that'll take care of the "sweet spot". Actually, if you stacked two or three of those filters you could sort of re-create the Holga's vignetting. It of course would be circular, whereas the Holga's is irregular. However, as far as the light leaks issue goes...short of breaking the camera, I don't see how you're gonna accomplish that.

Of course, you could accomplish the same thing by simply using a Holga in the first place...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Actually I have use a Holga for a while, light the look of the image but the leaks I can do without, just a personal preference.
    Live and Let Live

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Not really a topic appropriate for these forums
    There's probably a gazillion and one plugins for photoshop.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are after the HOLGA look, then chuck the digiblah and buy a Holga. We dont live on the Starship Enterprise, AND WE DONT HAVE A REPLICATOR.
    Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Beam me up Scottie....
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Visit my Photo Scrap Book

www.shutteringeye.wordpress.com

"Wake up, dream, and photograph what you have seen.
    Don't wake up, photograph, and dream of what could have been."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    To put things into perspective again: Hughib is looking for a filter that mimmics the Holga look, period.
    Getting one or two cheap UV filters and some experimenting could give you some nice results, shooting wide open ofcourse.

I would stay away from Vaseline as it gets everywhere where you don't want to have it.
    Try some clear-coat with a little bit of baby-powder and leave the center part of the filter clear.
    Cokin (used to) make a filter with a clear center hole and whitetish surroundings, sorry I don't have the number.
    Even some ladies panty-hose over the filter (don't forget the hole) could do something nice.

All this can be used for any 35mm and MF camera, even LF if you are bored enough.

Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Peter, I'm actually in the process of mounting a Holgalens on a Linhoff board, hopefully that won't upset anybody!
    Live and Let Live

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think you can get EOS/Nikon mount Holga lenses at Holgamods.
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    BY the way, using insulation tape stops all leaks ...except through the viewfinder when the sun is behind you. Added benefit is that it holds the back on! As for filters I have to say that you will struggle. It is not only the blur towards the edges but aso the distortion and vignetting in the lens that makes the mood...Would love to see what you end up with. K
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Visit my Photo Scrap Book

www.shutteringeye.wordpress.com

"Wake up, dream, and photograph what you have seen.
    Don't wake up, photograph, and dream of what could have been."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin