Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,725   Online: 969

Thread: Smena for Lomo?

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Smena for Lomo?

I'm considering the Smena for lomo type photography. Is anyone using it for such? Is it really -- how shall I put it? -- cheap or bad enough for this type of work? I'm especially looking for a strong, natural vignette effect and, of course, some light leaks. Smena 8m is easy enough to get, but I'd consider any of the models. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a reasonably competent camera - when it works. The picture quality is about what you would get from an old Argus 35mm.

You can get a vignette with any camera by adding a second 'aperture' behind or in front of the lens. If you are doing B&W it is a simple matter to do a heavy burn or flash of the corners and edges, flashing more closely mimics a camera vignette.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks. I'm trying to gauge if the quirks of this camera are in the finished product and not just the functionality. The images I'm seeing almost look -- too good. Maybe I'll start investigating the Diana with the 35mm back.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin