Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,767   Online: 846

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Polaroid In The News....(UK)

Not a new story but there's a double-page spread on Polaroid in today's (23/09) "Independent" newspaper in the UK. The article is called "Instant Replay" and is on pages 8 and 9 of the "Life" supplement.

This isn't a medium I in which have any real interest but I know there are many devoted followers who might want to see this......
    Paul Jenkin (a late developer...)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It Isn't a medium I have any great interest in either, but Edwin Land was without doubt to my mind, a genius.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    More than any other photographic medium, the Polaroid is real. What comes out of the slot with its pretty whirrr is a thing.
    Hmm, I must be showing my age. When I think of Polaroid, it is the thing that was tugged out of the slot with that "thruschk" sound. That and the cast-off paper triangles with the serated edges.

Ancient history, but good memories.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The dream still lives and the publicity continues, but still no real proof of success in "the revival". Still waiting; still waiting for some sign of hope... but not holding my breath!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I like Polaroid but I I find it hard to understand why the company that invented AF went with focus free crap towards the end, I'm not to keen on my camera and as money is tight I might sell my last box of film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's also maybe bidding farewell to a style of scientific research that will never be of significance again - Edison knew he was the last of the empirical inventors, and that invention as the 20'th century came in could not be done effectively by small teams. Land's approach to research embodied the same enthusiasm and motivation but taken to a new level, large teams of supremely skilled individuals, but still the genius at the core. And now - we've got computers!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Maybe Steve Jobs is the Last?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Reed View Post
    Edison knew he was the last of the empirical inventors, and that invention as the 20'th century came in could not be done effectively by small teams. Land's approach to research embodied the same enthusiasm and motivation but taken to a new level, large teams of supremely skilled individuals, but still the genius at the core. And now - we've got computers!
    Off topic a bit but Edison never invented anything.

He was the first of the modern day, corporate 'inventors', and stole other people's inventions wherever he could. Inventions of people with less money and so fewer lawyers to defend their rights.
    If that didn't work, and he wanted to get his fingers on whatever it might have been, he might pay some money to the inventor and buy his invention, or the inventor himself, legitimately.
    He (and George Eastman, by the way) ran a 'see you in court' type research department.

Land was very different.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Off topic a bit but Edison never invented anything.
    He was the first of the modern day, corporate 'inventors', and stole other people's inventions wherever he could.....
    ....Land was very different.
    A little unfair to the memory of Edison - he was a heavyweight who didn't pull punches, but Land too used every shot in his locker, as well as being a consummate showman.

Anyone leading their organisation 'from the front' gets interesting when their human errors show through - Land's big one was when he persisted in pushing through the Polaroid 8mm system, a total disaster just as VHS home video was coming in. He never recovered from it & was ousted from his own company.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin