Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,617   Online: 1009

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What's the Shutter Speed?

Lately, I've picked up a few toy cameras from local thrift stores. These aren't Holga's or Diana's or anything with good documentation, but older cameras that a.) even if they had documentation, probably didn't publish anything as technical as shutter speed, and b.) even if the shutter speed was known, I'm not sure I'd trust it. Some of these cameras are twenty years old or more and parts wear. And, of course, these weren't manufactured for any sort of precision.

So the really simple question is: Is there some slick way to calculate the shutter speed of a (film) camera?

(It might seem counter to lomo thinking to even care; it's as much out of curiousity, as anything. But I do some street shooting where the camera is in motion, and knowing which of these cameras has the fastest shutter would be useful.)

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi bvy

the cameras i have used that have one shutter speed
    i usually guestimate them at about 1/50th or 1/100thS

c41 and b/w are pretty forgiving so it's close enough ...

have fun, junkers are the best!
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for this link, Lee. I'm going to try it out. (Actually, it will be a fun project for my thirteen-year-old who likes to dabble in electronics...)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    Thanks for this link, Lee. I'm going to try it out. (Actually, it will be a fun project for my thirteen-year-old who likes to dabble in electronics...)
    If you figure it shoots at 1/50 sec at F/11 you can't go far wrong.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin