Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,815   Online: 739

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras

Blurred Images and the Diana F+

So I just developed my first roll of film from my new Diana F+!
    I was kind of bummed when I opened the envelope though, because practically all of my photos were blurry. Is there any way to combat this?
    It's possible that I just wasn't holding the camera still enough- I do have really shaky hands- but could there be any other setting I could use that would do away with this blurryness?
    Thanks!

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    One thing to check is to make sure it is NOT set to "B", which is for long exposures, resulting in shaky pictures.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    I'll remember that in the future! Thanks very much!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had similar trouble at first, then I realized that sometimes I was taking the photo without first focusing the lens! Oh, taking the lens cap off is a great idea as well. Too much time with my SLR I guess.....Which film are you using? I have had very good results with Ilford hp5, and Kodak portra both ASA 400.
    Howard

The artist's world is limitless. It can be found anywhere, far from where he lives or a few feet away. It is always on his doorstep. - Paul Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know what you mean by blurry. Are the images soft, or does it look like they suffer from motion blur? First thing to remember is that even if you have the shutter set to "instant" (or whatever they call it), the shutter speed isn't that fast. I'm figuring anywhere from 1/50 to 1/100 second. If you're not steady, that's slow enough to cause some motion blur. Second, you might have had the focus set incorrectly, though it's unlikely that it was set wrong for all the shots on the roll. Third, and let's be honest here, the camera has a crappy lens and will not really produce a sharp image. It will always be soft. It's ok if that's what you want, but don't expect high quality from it.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    One thing to check is to make sure it is NOT set to "B", which is for long exposures, resulting in shaky pictures.

Jon
    This is a problem with the Holga camera as well... and it doesn't matter what you think you set it at, the selector is prone to wander at the slightest provocation.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    This is a problem with the Holga camera as well... and it doesn't matter what you think you set it at, the selector is prone to wander at the slightest provocation.
    I taped mine. May upgrade to superglue when the tape dies.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    From what you guys have said, I think the blurryness is probably a result of motion blur. Some of my pictures did come out soft around the edges and its easy to tell between the soft ones and the blurry ones.
    I'll make sure to keep still and keep it set to N! Thanks very much!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    RLC, post some pics here. Sometimes, a lot of times, there's nothing wrong with blurry pics - just look at Jnanian's work and you'll agree.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Motion blur, yes.
    As my experience with the Diana F+ is, that this camera has nothing to do with the original Di. except the name and appearance.

the lens is MUCH sharper than it is on the original - more like a HOLGA, which makes sense to me....

As an old add said: HOLGA: the son of Diana...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin