Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,213   Online: 863

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Polaroid Collection to be sold off?

Looks to me like Polaroid may auction off their collection :o That makes me very sad!

Exhibition of Classic Polaroid Photographs
    To help celebrate the brand’s long history in imaging, Polaroid will hold an exclusive exhibition of classic Polaroid photographs, featuring selected works from The Polaroid Collection of Photography. The full Collection features more than 1,200 works by artists who used Polaroid cameras and film because of their unique aesthetic potential. CES attendees will have a chance to view selected works from the Collection by Ansel Adams, Andy Warhol, William Wegman and many others at Polaroid’s booth throughout the event. Sotheby’s will offer the full Collection at auction in June 2010.
    I really hate what POLAROID has become!

http://www.polaroid.com/About/News/P...Up+at+CES/4343
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, I guess we can take solace in the fact that if the collection is sold off, it will go to people who care about photography more than turning a brand into a shill in order to make a quick buck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess but it seems wrong to me to brake up such an amazing piece of history.

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1. I don't think the new owners of Polaroid own the photo collection. My guess is that's being sold by and for the creditors of the old company.

2. Actually, the new Polaroid looks awesome. They have a deal with Lady Gaga. Seriously, that's smart.

-Laura

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i see nothing wrong with selling it off at auction.
    a collection of work does no one any good, if no one
    is able to see it ...

if only other film companies would have a deal with pop stars ...
    i agree, that's very smart ...
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Large Format
    K,T,L,J

I have a few dogs in this fight. Laura I think that you are correct, as to who has the collection. I is going on the block th settle the debts of Petters the scheme artist. Some of the figures to look at 1200 works to go on the block, so the collection has 12,000 to 16,000 images and some say as many as 20 to 22,000??????. The collection has 61 A Team players and 1600 or more photographers with images in the collection. That's just the start, I have about 2.5 to 3 lbs of court papers to tell me that I have been Sc*****. Sotheby's does not have the clear rights to sell the collection. Any part of it. Be sides what will happen to the other images, the 1,200 that go up first are not even Polaroids for the most part.

The rub comes with the rest of the work and what will happen to it. If it is headed to the dumpster I and a lot of photographers want our work back. We worked with Polaroid materials and they worked with use at any time we needed the work back for a show we got it. I was part of the 50 photographers program and was with them for about 2 1/5 years.

The Collection is massive and needs a new home, let's hope it will stay intact. For more information go to AD Colman's site

Anybody want to buy a Polaroid
    Jan Pietrzak

ps Any one want to wall paper their house.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    from what i remember
    polaroid used to trade photographers
    a bunch of film for some art they created with it.

why don't the people selling it off have the right to do sell the images ?
    i thought the folks that traded work for materials gave up their ownership/rights
    when they received their (pallet of) film ... i know people who have work in the polaroid collection
    but i never asked they the formalities of their agreement...
    was there paperwork signed that said after a certain amount of time,
    or if polaroid was sold the "work" would be returned to the artists,
    or they would never be sold ( like the is gardiner museum's dutch collection ) ...

Shooter
    Large Format
    John,

The Collection was to be a working collection, for shows and corporate promotion 'corp. ads'. The work was on a trade basis for the use of film, or film to be used and work done. The photographers still held the rights to the work. That's the gray area. The courts told us that we should have come forward earlier to claim our work. I think that most of us thought that the work was apart from the P/C. I guess not true. All of this has been handed down by the courts.

A point that has not been addressed, was the work that was given to Land on a personal basis????? Ansel gave him a copy of each Portfolio he did. Also work from Weston was never done in Polaroid some of these are the work to go on the block.

Ok, did the rights to the work die with first bankruptcy???? It is a big mess.

As far as the pallet load of film goes I paid for much more film than the stuff from Polaroid. All in all it was a great time and a good rez item. All I want to know is what is going to happen to the rest of the work. And Sotheby's is not forth coming with any information. We do have an Artists Rights Act on the Books that states you can not knowingly destorying work. This happened in New Mexico and the work had to be paid for 'Big Claim'.

All I can say is, we will see what happens

Thanks for you interest

Jan Pietrzak

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I will be happy if it stays together and it isn't sold to be bought to be sold to be bought to be sold and sold and resold just to make money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pietrzak View Post
    John,

The Collection was to be a working collection, for shows and corporate promotion 'corp. ads'. The work was on a trade basis for the use of film, or film to be used and work done. The photographers still held the rights to the work. That's the gray area. The courts told us that we should have come forward earlier to claim our work. I think that most of us thought that the work was apart from the P/C. I guess not true. All of this has been handed down by the courts.

A point that has not been addressed, was the work that was given to Land on a personal basis????? Ansel gave him a copy of each Portfolio he did. Also work from Weston was never done in Polaroid some of these are the work to go on the block.

Ok, did the rights to the work die with first bankruptcy???? It is a big mess.

As far as the pallet load of film goes I paid for much more film than the stuff from Polaroid. All in all it was a great time and a good rez item. All I want to know is what is going to happen to the rest of the work. And Sotheby's is not forth coming with any information. We do have an Artists Rights Act on the Books that states you can not knowingly destorying work. This happened in New Mexico and the work had to be paid for 'Big Claim'.

All I can say is, we will see what happens

Thanks for you interest

Jan Pietrzak
    hi jan

thanks for the clarification!
    it DOES sound like a huge mess.
    can the artists whose work is in the collection
    put a cease and desist or an injunction or
    some sort of "brakes" on ?

i knew work was given to polaroid that was done on their
    film for film, friends + teachers always thought polaroid was
    great and showed a HUGE interest in photographers + artists using their product/s.
    i used to get "test" magazine years ago, another of their showcases - great stuff!

what i didn't realize was that the artists still retained their rights, i just thought
    it was like and "even exchange" .. or the equivalent ..

good luck with this whole ordeal !
    john
    im empty, good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin