Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,009   Posts: 1,524,612   Online: 1039

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    IIRC, there's also a statement of intent to possibly revive 20x24 instant film. Sadly, I believe I also read that the 4x5 tooling was destroyed before they could get to it.

Ken
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It would be great to see 4x5 coming along, although from the emails I am getting from them I can not help the feeling that the results are too much "lomo". But I would love to be able to shoot with some kind of replacement of Type 55. I would even consider some kind of P&S 4x5 camera for that purpose. But I guess I am out of luck for the time being ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i've seen this blog: http://new55project.blogspot.com/ and they say there they have a wish to bring 55 type back to life. But i'm not sure how serious their intention is))

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by icono View Post
    i've seen this blog: http://new55project.blogspot.com/ and they say there they have a wish to bring 55 type back to life. But i'm not sure how serious their intention is))
    Well, serious enough to have spent quite a bit of time and money developing a new reagent, research and identify the necessary DTR kinetics which were never published, analyzed existing 55 and other 4x5 instant films, identified more than one suitable replacement emulsion, analyze the potential marketplace for a new P/N or N only material, identify and get prices on tooling and supplies, develop a field processable 4x5 scheme as a backup, and conduct breakeven analysis to see if it could be a profitable business at a gross margin of a modest 50%. As a manufacturer of things-for-sale already, I am not convinced it is, but that could change.

We have not decided how to fund actual commercialization, yet or if at all, but we definitely have the design and manufacturing techniques in-hand, and assume that others could do the same if they thought there was a sufficient demand.

A commitment of about 10K units (we think that means 1000 boxes of ten sheets each plus sodium sulfite packets) would cover perhaps half the startup investment according to the plan that's published.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BobCrowley View Post
    Well, serious enough to have spent quite a bit of time and money developing a new reagent, research and identify the necessary DTR kinetics which were never published, analyzed existing 55 and other 4x5 instant films, identified more than one suitable replacement emulsion, analyze the potential marketplace for a new P/N or N only material, identify and get prices on tooling and supplies, develop a field processable 4x5 scheme as a backup, and conduct breakeven analysis to see if it could be a profitable business at a gross margin of a modest 50%. As a manufacturer of things-for-sale already, I am not convinced it is, but that could change.

We have not decided how to fund actual commercialization, yet or if at all, but we definitely have the design and manufacturing techniques in-hand, and assume that others could do the same if they thought there was a sufficient demand.

A commitment of about 10K units (we think that means 1000 boxes of ten sheets each plus sodium sulfite packets) would cover perhaps half the startup investment according to the plan that's published.

Your thoughts are appreciated!
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Im a young buck that loves the 55. I really do hope they remake it. Ive heard of the new 55 project. but did not know how far they went. Thanks for the info!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pdjr1991 View Post
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Im a young buck that loves the 55. I really do hope they remake it. Ive heard of the new 55 project. but did not know how far they went. Thanks for the info!
    I wish so too. And if they would manage to get the same ISO speed for the print and the negative - that would be even better just dreaming ...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Someone take the initiative to put together a cash advance pre-order account for 2500 10-pack boxes at $50/box. and I think you could persuade Bob to move things forward. The New55Project has done great work but it all comes down to dollars and cents. I'm in for three boxes.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by amuderick View Post
    Someone take the initiative to put together a cash advance pre-order account for 2500 10-pack boxes at $50/box. and I think you could persuade Bob to move things forward. The New55Project has done great work but it all comes down to dollars and cents. I'm in for three boxes.
    Can I charge your BankAmericard for the three boxes? Seriously, there's probably enough to support a single product, but not as a standalone. Over the last 6 months the climate has changed a good deal and there are signs of a new kind of stable marketplace for films. Oil paints are still made too.

If we actually did get a pre-order for 25,000 sheets, it would definitely happen in a hurry, but no guarantees on the ISO matching.
    Last edited by BobCrowley; 10-01-2010 at 08:22 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: bhd tipng

Shooter
    Multi Format
    id be in for four. Pricey but hopefully it will be well worth it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bob, does it mean that you would be able essentially to bring "back" the T55 (or a similar to that one)?

I would be in for 10 boxes and let you charge my visa card IF I could be assured that it would appear within 12 months or so. In the mean time I would save up some money for some of the Polaroid conversion cameras.

Mind you I have never shot T55 myself. I just love the idea and work what I have seen with T55 was very special to me. When I was about to give it a try (prices were quite a bit more than $50 per 10 sheet box here in Germany) it got discontinued and prices went up to sky.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin