Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,499   Posts: 1,571,572   Online: 1146

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Experiments with 110 film

So I saw that some companies had made 110 SLR cameras and I had to have one so I bought the original Minolta 110 SLR. My plan is to load Ektar 100 into 110 cassettes to have a portable SLR system for woods hunting. Some day I might acquire a Pentax 110 SLR with a few lenses because those look awesome. I've just processed my first roll of film off ebay and it came out well. It's pre-exposed with large blocks in between frames which include the frame numbers. I've also noticed that those blocks are cutting off a millimeter of the frame in either direction...brilliant, really.

Any community experiences/tips with 110 cameras and film? I also have a minolta 16 (but none of the cartridges) and I'm considering trying more submini. We'll see.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Nicholas;

I also have 110 cartridge cameras here; mainly the long thin pocket forms. Film is still available from some of the drug stores around here. For the normal size prints most of us make, this film format is certainly adequate. Finding processing by others is a chore now. I just missed getting a Nikor 16mm developing reel for use in developing my own.

The Minolta 16mm pocket cameras are another subject. For those cameras, look at the SubClub, www.subclub.org

It seems that we Minolta 16 and 16 II users do still have a source for film for these older palm sized miniature cameras. You can hide them visually very easily. I had wrapped one of mine in black photographic tape to reduce its visual effect even further. Now if there was just something we could do about the very audible "CLANK" when we fire the shutter.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The pre-exposed in-between segments of film served several purposes. One was to key the printer accurately on such a small scale and the other was to give a more precise level of seasoning to the developer due to the small scale. There were other reasons, some just in planning stages but the product was dropped just like APX.

Films with fine grain and sharpness such as EKTAR 25 were planned to go far in 110.

The problem was that most people did not like the grain and sharpness of the products at the time.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got in to 16mm in the earl 80s with a few Minoltas and a bunch of cartridges. I have been using up a 100ft roll of HP5 single perf 16mm negative film. The quality of the images is much better than Minox, but, other than the Gami, all the modern high-end cameras (Minolta SLR and Pentax SLR) were made to take 110

I just had my Minolta 16qt out the other day and the meter still works . I got the Jobo 16mm reels when they were still selling them new. Each reel holds two rolls of film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've been debating getting the cartridges for the Minolta 16s. I will be getting a slitter and reel so I'll be able to do whatever I want with the film.

My idea has been to reload the cartridges with Ektar 100 and various other slow speed films. The Minolta SLR has exposure control to achieve full stops between ASA 25 and 1600. I'm not sure how sharp the lens is; I know ektar generally out resolves lenses. It should be fun. With loading my own film I will achieve a larger frame area as well despite the poorer frame spacing using the Minolta. I look forward to having some fun.

Some of you may appreciate this waste of time:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 110 film.JPG  
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi, kinda new here. I have a Pentax Auto 110 with 24mm lens. I have a couple of exposed rolls to send off to Dwayne's.

Tiberius, "I've just processed my first roll of film off ebay and it came out well" Did you process the 110 or did a lab process it for you? I had asked a similar ? on another forum site but received no reply. If you indeed processed the 110...how? What tools? Did you then make prints?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I taped the 110 film emulsion side out, base to base, onto an old strip of processed 35mm film, which I wound onto a steel reel. Through some miracle of modern medicine, the film was processed somewhat evenly and even has images on it. Weird how these things work out. I do C41 regularly. I bought a reel but it ended up in the Canadian Wilderness via a long story. I'll have it eventually. The reels are hard to find and expensive. Alternatively there's a plastic tank on Amazon which adjusts to 16mm.

I have so far just looked at the negatives. Eventually I'll print them. I have access to a 16mm Carrier and I've been told a 35mm enlarging lens too so I can run RA4 for 110 film and blow them up to 16x20. Fun is definitely in store.

Now that classes are done all the little projects I didn't have time for start getting done. Now to process Kodachrome!
    Last edited by tiberiustibz; 05-28-2010 at 11:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Good to know. A bag of tricks is always a good bet. Thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For you 110 mm shooters, maybe these are hard to find - I don't know. I have a stainless steel developing reel for 110 mm film that I'll give to anyone who wants it. It's a cheap one made by Prinz. I don't have a developing tank to go with it but it's the same size as a normal 35 mm reel so it will fit in a standard 35mm developing tank. Send me a PM if interested.
    Dan's website: www.dandozer.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I remember using a Yankee Clipper 2 tank for 110. I think B&H still has some of them.
    Turning negative into positive since 1975

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin