Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,460   Online: 927

Shooter
    Instant Films

Fuji FP100C, keeping it clean till dry?

Hello all!

I'm new registered to APUG, but i've been reading for some weeks.

I use many diff. cameras in different formats, but mostly the Polalaroid Mod 250, and with that one almost only Fuji FP-100C color film.
    It is available at a reasonable price around here.

But since the beginning, i have problems with handling the film.

The surface is somehow "wet" and soft for quite some time after the exposure, and this creates problems with storing.

I always end up with a lot of dust, fingerprints or scratches on the film.

Is there a simple way to avoid this?
    I tried storing it in a note-book, but then it sticks to the paper, and the surface gets damaged...

Thanks for suggestions!

PS: and feel free to take a look at the pics on my blog...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I love that fuji film. I haven't had too much problem with it gather fingerprints and such, but I have it set on a table for at least 5 mins and dry before moving it around. Even then its in a notebook or between some paper towels.

Depending on how you shoot you could try bringing a small pop-up container to store them in until they are dried while you shoot more. Also, i've never tried it myself, but once they have set for a while, you could put the image side to wax paper in your notebook. But I'd leave them out on a dust free shelf for 24 hours just to make sure their set.

How humid is your environment? Most of my shooting with the fuji was fall/winter and very dry.

Shooter
    Instant Films
    The first five minutes are the problem.
    Most of the time I'm outside, and often there is dust in the air.
    If i leave it to dry, it collects tons of it. If i put it away, it sticks to anything, even wax paper.
    So i have to hold it with the print side down till it is dry, and then store it.

That gives me an average of 8 pics per hour, which is sometimes not bad, considering the price of the material.
    But i have missed some great shots, just because of that sticky print in my hand.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Try carrying some small container such as a rubbermaid food storage cup with lid thingy that would hold the film. Pop a few small holes throughout the container. When you have a freshly exposed shot, pop it in the container and seal it. The holes should provide ventilation with out letting much dust in. If your super paranoid you could cut a couple square inch hole in the top and tape some cheese cloth across it to act as a filter.

Shooter
    Instant Films
    Hey, that's a great idea! I like it, thanks!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Let us know how it works out

Shooter
    Medium Format

keep the box...

that the film comes in. Throw your exposed image in the box to dry- keeps out the dust and has enough headroom to not touch the top of the image. You can put two photos in the box back to back to dry- since you usually have some curl to the photo, only a small portion will touch the cardboard box. And if your film is not curling, just put some dimples in the corners of the box on both sides- only four points of cardboard box will touch each photo.

You can only store two at a time, but it beats holding on to each shot for five minutes.

Good Luck, I love that film- especially in the absurdly expensive 4x5 version!

Matt

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin