Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,767   Posts: 1,516,463   Online: 901

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, I'm going to look for a rectangular punch at the art store, a little hand held model. Then I figure I'll tape the film to the backing paper and use the notches in the backing paper as a guide; those notches are too wide so I just have to see, does the film hole go in the left or right edge of the slot or the middle or is it that critical? I think as long as the spacing is right it should be fine. Will be a fun experiment anyways, much nice than chopping the 'finger' off the camera's advance mechanism.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    Yeah, I'm going to look for a rectangular punch at the art store, a little hand held model.
    It doesn't have to be square. I use a 1/8" round punch and it works fine. I had to put a cardboard 'stopper' in the jaws of the punch to keep it from going too deep into the frame.

I make the roll first by taping that leading edge to the paper and rolling it up onto the spool. I have put a thin slice of tape at the tail so I know where to snip off the film. Then loosely roll it back up to the non-spool side and go through it a second time to make the punches (feeling the paper slits for a guide).

Then for the final time, I roll it up to the non-spool side and place it into the cartridge. If you have a 24 exposure roll you have to roll it up very tight to fit. A 20 exposure roll is a bit easier and a 12 exposure roll is real easy.

Once it's all together, I tape up the edges of the cartridge and can take it out of the bag.

Before putting it into the camera, I sometimes have to roll the film forward a bit by hand if the whole thing is too tight. Once I reach position 1 in the camera I've never had anymore trouble getting it to advance.

Also... I found that I need to advance the film softly and slowly. If I go too fast or rough, it can pass right by the sprocket hole and waste a frame.

I have been tempted to grind off the sprocket finger and use a length of fishing line to trip the lever. That way I could eliminate the need to punch holes.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    love reading this thread...this topic fascinates me.... wonder if I can play with a hawkeye we have that was hubby's mom's...that aqua one that was a "giveaway" not sold in stores, the Kodak Instamatic F...it has been sitting here tempting me.
    j e s s i c a | d i t t m e r

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can buy expired stuff on eBay or Solaris 200 (well, also expired) from frugalphotographer though it costs $12/roll there, hence why I'm buying expired unperforated rolls to hand load cheaply, $24 gets me 100' or around 35 rolls worth of film since the 24 rolls of 126 are quite short.

An Instamatic X-15F was one of the main cameras I used for years. I hadn't touched it in 25 years probably when I started using it again last year, quite nostalgic and I still like the pictures it takes.

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So my 100' roll of June 2010 expired Kodak Gen 2 (supposedly Pro version of Portra 160NC) arrived today. I loaded a roll in a used Solaris cartridge in the dark bag, got fed up with trying to punch holes so I just black electrical taped the cartridge together and tried it. It wouldn't advance with the finger on my junker Instamatic 500 so I snipped the finger off. Two advance/firings is slightly farther than needed but one gives overlapped frames. Still it is fairly easy to do the two firings. I could go less than two full advances but there doesn't seem to be much point when I have 100' to use up (and there are lots more 100' rolls where this came from). I shot with a flash f/5.6 1/60th and already souped it in my old 1L Tetenal kit, drying now...

I'm pleased as the "Kodak Gen 2" markings are only on one edge! I swear this film is meant for 126. Taping from the end of the roll puts the markings on the unused portion of the frame so I get a full 28x28mm frame picture. Great stuff!

I'll be able to load the unperforated B&W when it arrives from Europe too, which should be fun indeed. I haven't had B&W film for this camera since the early '80s.

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Okay guys, for you aficionados, here's a cherry 126 SLR, yes SLR with removable lenses Ricoh 126c TLR. Local to me. I thought about buying it but it really deserves to be in the hands of someone who will shoot it. http://slo.craigslist.org/pho/2212623439.html Dirt cheap too! Only $20. I bet if you email them straight away and promise fast payment they might ship it. Just guessing though.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak Gen 2:

Kodak Gen 2 Unperforated 35mm film by Harry Pulley, on Flickr

100' bulk reel, only markings on one edge, unperforated, perfect for 126 reloads! Developed with Tetenal Press Kit 1L, already over capacity but still working well.

The Kodak Instamatic 500 gives 32x30mm images on this film, actually more area than 135 format (36x24mm). With the Schneider Kruzenach Xenar 38mm f/2.8 lens (made in Germany) the pictures are quite good.

For the available light shots here I should have used f/2.8 but the bright window fooled me and the old Gossen Selenium light meter (and the film cartridge originally had 200 speed film in it so the body is metering 1/3 stop under, and the film is a bit expired). As you can can see in the third shot with flash the exposure is fine. The darker shots actually scan OK but look a bit too thin for traditional printing.

I snipped the sprocket hole sensing 'finger' off since punching holes was near impossible. This means I need to take two shots per shot as one crank of the winder lever doesn't go far enough. I hold the camera against my sleeve for the extra shots. As you can see this seems to be a bit prone to light leaks however... if I had a proper lens cap it would work but it is a 32mm size, difficult to find today and since it is not an SLR I'd be worried about forgetting to take the cap off afterward.
    Last edited by hpulley; 02-13-2011 at 08:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is a bit odd that it says "K'ODAK" though, makes me wonder if it is Kodak film at all but I don't really care, it works and the price was right!

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    Is a bit odd that it says "K'ODAK" though, makes me wonder if it is Kodak film at all but I don't really care, it works and the price was right!
    There is a fair bit of internet discussion about the various ways "KODAK" is edge printed on film, including some here on APUG. IIRC, some think it may indicate which factory was used to produce or package the film (from the days when there were a lot of choices).
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very interesting! I didn't know that. Anyone know which plant this was?

And why the name Gen 2 rather than Portra 160NC? Since Portra is already the Pro name it is odd that this is apparently some other pro line of it.

Happiness is...

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin