Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,871   Posts: 1,583,344   Online: 1150

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Polaroid Land Camera 100 - Battery?

My girlfriend just acquired a Polaroid Land Camera 100. On the bottom of the camera is a sticker that says "New Battery 2-7-1972". I'll be darned if I can find a battery compartment on this camera, and the manual indicates no battery either. What gives?

Something is awry, because we purchased some film from the Impossible Project, and they all came out unexposed.
    They were all a dark turquoise green color, except for one, where we tried to pull the white tab before exposure, which gave a pretty cool abstract look, but still not at all resembling what was in front of the lens.

So we assume we have a shutter problem, and that any potential battery would be related to that problem. Or it's just a mechanical shutter problem.

Where do I start to look? I've never used a Polaroid camera before.

Thanks for any help,

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Found this link, it appears the 100 takes a #531 battery.

http://www.rwhirled.com/landlist/landbatt.htm

Now where does it go?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Finding out more...

See attachment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled-1.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The battery compartment is on the back on the opposite side of the film door (shares the hinge.) Just pull gently on the door near the silver button. While the original battery was 4.5v, people have found that 3v is sufficient to drive the shutter. I use a CR123A lithium battery with a spring to make up the length difference. You can also find instructions on other custom battery adapters via google. You can verify proper shutter operation by dry firing while looking through the back.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Polaroid 100 camera has an automatic Electronic shutter that needs a battery. As you are holding the camera, your left hand is around the battery compartment. Pull the front of the camera back and the battery will be exposed.
    IIRC it is a 4.5 V battery Duracell PX-19. It has special snap connections at each end. I haven't priced one in ages but I'm thinking $10 or more. I have heard of AA cells being connected with a holder or soldered in series that worked fine.
    Once you have a good battery you can check the shutter without film by firing the shutter while looking through the back at different light sources and listing for a delay as the shutter opens and closes.
    Good luck with your new camera, just remember to set the film speed under the lens and then tell it where it is in the windows on top of the shutter.

Francis in VT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, guys.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...lterValue=4.5V

That should work too. It even says 531 on it.

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    a cr123a 3.0 volt is sufficient and easy to provide. the electric shutters of the the polaroids are quite robust, they would even work with a 9 volt battery without problems. I tested both for quite a while and they are both still working.

the easiest way imho is to purchase a cr123a pcb battery holder (google it). it's not even 1 dollar (+shipping of course) and fits into the battery compartment. attach the wires and that's it.

for the owners of those models with an electronic timer: you can easily fit two holders into the battery compartment.

greetings from the sunny south of france

reinhard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you, Reinhard!

I am not sure I want to modify the camera since I found replacement batteries that are the same dimension and voltage as the original.

Some day, if those batteries become obsolete, I will remember what you said about robust electronics and adaptable battery arrangements.

Thanks!

- Thomas

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a 101 and i used a double AAA holder i had laying around. I had to remove the plastic clip that holds the battery to make some room and and cut the wires and solder them onto the AAA Holder but it works great!
    I do think AAA batteries are cheaper and easier to find which is why i opted for them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I am not sure I want to modify the camera...
    The CR123A is pretty much the same diameter as the original battery. If the battery holder contacts are in good condition, you just need something (like a spring) to make up the length difference. However, most original battery holders are corroded and have degraded plastic so are usually replaced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin