Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,536   Posts: 1,646,106   Online: 869

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

What film for toy camera?

I just picked up a Time Traveler 120 from a thrift shop for $10. It's a box camera from the 50s that shoots 6x9 120 film. I can't find any specs about it online, but I did measure the box and the focal length looks to be 90mm and the aperture looks to be 6mm which would be about f15. I have no idea what the shutter speed is now after 60 years or what it was originally designed to be.

What do you think would be a b&w film with a lot of latitude and a vintage feel?
    Steve Long

my blog: http://wayofuncertainty.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    HP5+ ?

Shooter
    35mm
    The shutter speed will likely be about 1/25-50 or so, on most box cameras the trip shutters seem to hold speed as long as they function. A film that will give an vintage feeling result is Efke, you should be able to get a usable negative outdoors with the 100.
    That's just, like, my opinion, man...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Why not color slide film and a little cross processing for the fun of it?

All in all, shoot some Plus-X.

Shooter
    35mm
    I would recommend the same film I would recommend for any other camera--Tmax 400. You will be 2 stops over exposed in the sunlight (no big deal) but have lots of latitude.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Adox CHS Art or Efke (same emulsion as Adox, but in a different box) is similar to some Adox 1950s emulsions.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the shutter speed info on box cameras, JBrunner, that helps a lot. Sounds like I need to be at 100 iso to give me some leeway +-2 stops. My local lab does Kodak better than some of the exotics (I don't develop my own yet). So, I think I'll give T-Max 100 a try on the first roll.

No way am I going to use slide film on the first roll. I tried that once with some Fuji Provia 400 with a camera that had a working light meter, but it was off by 2 stops (unbeknownst to me). Got nothing back but clear slides.
    Steve Long

my blog: http://wayofuncertainty.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Adox CHS Art or Efke (same emulsion as Adox, but in a different box) is similar to some Adox 1950s emulsions.
    I have been using Efke 25 in my Brownie Hawkeye with good results. I really like the old style films in this camera. I may try a roll of Ektar100 in the camera, just for fun.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think Plus-X is a good idea for your first roll. Not too expensive, and very tolerant of overexposure.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Another vote for Plus-X! Awesome film!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin