Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,368   Online: 817

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Flipped lens Brownie Hawkeye

I was recently having a conversation with a list member about images made with a flipped lens Brownie Hawkeye and said I would post a couple on examples here. These are negative scans. Bill Barber
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Caution copy.jpg   Tractor seat.jpg  

JJB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What model did you do this on? I have the flash model and would love to try this. It seems to create the kind of image I wanted my holga to make but was not able to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They made two models (flash or non-flash) of the Hawkeye in the 49-61 series. Either the flash or the non-flash model will work. It is an easy job, just pay attention to how you take it apart. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    It is an easy job, just pay attention to how you take it apart.
    Again, this site will walk you through that process in detail...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Really nice - I like this a lot. Thanks for the tip!
    -dereck|james|gignac
    dereckjamesgignac.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i like how it is crazy distorted and almost macro at the same time.
    beautiful stuff bill !

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the comments. I've done two of these and didn't mess with the mirror (didn't take it out.) I just used a q-tip with a little denatured alcohol to clean it. One thing to remember is that this camera was designed for 620 film. That is really no problem as you can use 120, just be sure to use a 620 spool for the take up side. Some folks have talked about respooling 120 to 620 spools. You don't have to do that. If you don't do your own processing, ask your processor to return the 620 spool with your order. The film advance will be a little tight at first, however that soon passes. Bill Barber

Shooter
    35mm
    Just curious, what distance range works for the in-focus part of the picture? Nice shots, btw.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Both of these are uncropped, so on the first one i was perhaps 8 to 10 feet away from the post with the sign on it and the second one, I was very close (within 2 to 3 feet.) If someone thinks they like the results, this is a no brainer. The cameras, if not sitting around in your grandparents house are less than $10 at auction, yard sale or thrift store. There are always some on eBay. They are simple to work on. The one I'm currently working on had a somewhat sticky shutter. Soaked in a little lighter fuid and 3 in 1 oil mixture and it works like a champ. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    The cameras, if not sitting around in your grandparents house are less than $10 at auction, yard sale or thrift store. There are always some on eBay. They are simple to work on. The one I'm currently working on had a somewhat sticky shutter. Soaked in a little lighter fuid and 3 in 1 oil mixture and it works like a champ. Bill Barber

I've never flipped the lens, but I've had a few apart. The important trick is that screws that hold the light box to the housing are simply screwed into the Bakelite. If you over-torque them they won't stay in because they strip out very easily. I found that once you're sure of your work, take it back apart, and reassemble with a small dab of superglue in the hole. The screws set up very tightly, but if you're sparing with the glue you can still get it apart a few years from now if necessary.

I found the spray graphite worked better than oil to my mind. YMMV.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin