Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,661   Posts: 1,481,598   Online: 904

Shooter
    Medium Format

Buying Polaroid 600se

So i found this polaroid 600se the price is at ca. 180 usd which seems extremely cheap to me. I dont have a lot of experience with polaroid cameras but have been wanting to get one for a while looking through ebay listings and such to no end.
    The seller describes the camera as clean and whole and it definitely looks in very good shape in the images. Usually at this point i would ask the seller some more questions to kinda get a feel for wether or not it actually works but im a little at a loss here since i dont have experience with this particular camera, maybe you guys can help me with that?

(btw this is my first post on here...woop)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It sounds like a good price to me too. One thing particular to polaroid pack film backs and cameras is the condition of the rollers, so you may want to ask specifically about them. Otherwise, not much to check on that is particular to Polaroids that I can think of.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well of course always ask if there is any evidence of oil on the aperture blades and that the shutter speeds sound reasonable accurate.

The rollers on the back is a good suggestion but some corrosion can be cleaned up.

Also ask if the rangefinder is accurate for the lens that is on there now. Ask about infinity focus and shorter distances as well.

Sounds like a decent deal.

Shooter
    Instant Films
    dont worry about the rollers. They can be taken out of any crappy plastic body polaroid camera eg zip, super shooter, reporter. And they are dead cheap ie $1=$15. The important things are the lens and body esp. the lens condition. If you can live with a few bumps and bruises on the body, it wont hurt the camera or picture quality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it is in nice shape, it is a good price compared to their going prices, but still is not "extremely cheap" for what you get. What you get with the 600SE is a dedicated Polaroid (or Fujiroid) camera with a dedicated lens mount that can only use two (perhaps three) lenses. There are also Mamiya Universals, on which the 600SE's are based, and which can be used with a Polaroid back or a film back. They are more versatile and cheaper. I would recommend one over a 600SE any day. I, for one, have never understood why 600Se's are so valuable, considering that Universals can do everything they can do, plus a lot more.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Instant Films
    dont worry about the rollers. They can be taken out of any crappy plastic body polaroid camera eg zip, super shooter, reporter. And they are dead cheap ie $1=$15. The important things are the lens and body esp. the lens condition. If you can live with a few bumps and bruises on the body, it wont hurt the camera or picture quality.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Unfortunately I didn't get the camera. I'm looking into Mamiya Press and liking what i see. Thanks for the advice I'll keep it in mind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Remember that you will need to purchase a Universal to use Polaroid. The plain Press and the Super 23 do not accept it.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    there is a phantastic page about all the difference between the universal and the 600se

http://moominsean.blogspot.com/2010/...oid-600se.html

happy reading

reinhard

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin