Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,484   Posts: 1,571,267   Online: 1041

Shooter
    35mm

Enlarging slides on FUJI Instax

Hello, this is my first post in this wonderful forum!

So, I recently bought a Instax 200 and it's great fun. But know my question: A Fuji Instax Film is actually a sheet of direct positive paper, but the chemicals are included. If I put out a sheet of the film cassette in the dark and expose a chrome with my enlarger, that should work, shouldn't it?
    I know, the quality wouldn't be great, but I just care about experimenting...
    Last edited by youngfilm; 12-13-2010 at 03:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi, and welcome to APUG!

I'm not too familiar with Instax film, but yes, i think it should work. Of course, it's important that the "pod" of chemicals be released by the rolllers (assuming it's the same with Instax), so would you have to put it back in the camera after exposure and shoot the pix with your hand over the lens, or something?

How big is the instax film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you, I'll feel comfortable here.

The normal instax film is 60mm x 99mm...
    Do i have to expose it from behind?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, Instax in exposed through the base. The easiest way would be to expose it with the film still in the cassette, and then put the cassette back into the camera and push the shutter button. The camera will eject the piece of film without exposing it as it thinks it is ejecting the protective sheet from a new pack of film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Of course, all of that needs to be done in the dark and it would be worth making sure there aren't any lights on the camera which will fog the film.

Shooter
    35mm
    That idea is needlessly complicated... could be mine
    If you just want your positives on Instax paper, it's probably much easier to put the slide into a projector and take a photo of the projection with the Instax camera.
    Aside from needing absolute darkness, I think the film has a pretty high sensitivity, so you'd need a very short exposure, even with closed aperture. I don't know the exact numbers, but a ND-filter for your enlarger could be useful, if you still want to try it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A chap I know did this with Polaroid 600 for a client not long ago. You can use a colour printing filter set to adjust the colour to get it just right, but there's no reason it cant work. It might just take a lot of tinkering to get it perfect - let us know how it goes!
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    35mm
    I seem to remember that Polaroid once made some sort of slide printer, which
    used their instant film?

I also once saw a small back-projection screen, about 18 inches by 12 inches, which was specifically produced to make copy slides or negatives by photographing the image from the front. I'd guess something like this idea of photographing the projected slide from a screen would be more satisfactory and need less waste of film for testing.

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    the polaroid printer is still for sale (reconditioned), just look for "daylab". the ordinary model is for type 100 film and so fuji fp will do as well. there is a 4 x 5 base which will accept fp 45 film. the bigger 8 x 10 base is rare and there is no new film for it. it's fun and it's easy.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin