Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,746   Posts: 1,515,662   Online: 754

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Can you shoot 220 through a Holga?

Today for the first time i shot a Holga! I found myself out in the sun with a 400 speed roll of film (not a good thing)! Well.. I pulled the film 2 stops and was impressed by this little piece of s#@t camera. I have some Kodak E100VS in 220 that i want to run though the Holga and cross process it, can it take 220 or will it break my new little plastic friend in half?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The answer is... well... yes. It will take a bit of figuring, though. Because 220 film does not have backing paper throughout the roll, you will have to cover the red film counter window on the back, and you will have to calculate how far to advance the film between exposures. You can do that by counting clicks on the film advance knob. Because the film roll gets thicker as you wind on to the takeup reel, each exposure requires slightly less advance for each successive frame. (otherwise, each frame will become progressively farther apart, and you will have space for something less than 24 shots on your 220 film.) Without taking into account the paper leader at the beginning of the roll, this might be similar to the counts for 35mm film. There is a table on Photon Detector that lists the clicks for 35mm film. Use that as a starting point, and when you're done, let us know how it works out for you.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Well, there aren't any frame numbers or paper backing to 220!

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    And the probability of being fogged increases greatly
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess i will have to tape it up good!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah I've done this a couple of times.... Tape up the back really good with multiple layers... Even doubled up gaffer tape wasn't sufficient to rid the film completely of leaks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I wouldn't bother - Buy 100VS in 120, sell 100VS in 220. Don't forget 220 costs twice as much to process

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Regarding the red window for the frame advancing, if you're an equipment junky, you will already have bought the Holga 35 mm kit. One of the components is a back with no red window. I use it for 35 mm Holga shooting. But you still have to count the clicks. Thanks for the tip about Photon Detector.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Counting clicks through 24 exposures sounds like a lot of fun. And you'll need to count clicks just to align your first shot. Why bother?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Toffle gave you all the info you need to know.

Personally, it sounds like more trouble than it is worth, unless you really got a ton of the stuff for really cheap.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin