Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,317   Online: 1202

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A couple of weeks ago, I gave Shangai GP3 a try in one of my Holgas. The result was also frustrating like with the Fomapans. The scratches are all over and along the film. I developed it in HC-110 and the negative looks quite nice. Perhaps, I will try another roll of GP3 more carefully, but I see another cheap film useless for 120 Holgas.

Up to the moment, 400TX, Acros, HP5+ and FP4 are the films that work without scratches in my 2 Holga GNs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Holgas scratch films. Sometimes. Especially if you put more tension on the film.
    I believe the OP was talking about adding pressure to the sides of the take-up spool in order to prevent the "fat roll" problem.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It does not help,I admit, but just today I saw an Unhappy Post on a local auction site from a discontented buyer who was upset by the relative sharpness,and lack of vignetting of their Holga camera, and wondered if they had a faulty copy..

Shooter
    35mm
    So it would seem that unless you are very careful or lucky a Holga scratches film! I wonder how long Simon Galley could pay his mortgage if his company sold film that had a similar fault rate?

Perhaps Ford, General Motors etc could try putting some fun back into motoring by selling vehicles that reminded people of the early days of motoring when breakdowns were part of the fun!!

I confess to being perplexed about the thrill of Holgas

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    I confess to being perplexed about the thrill of Holgas
    pentaxuser
    It can be a more primitive experience, especially for those that are used to exacting exposure/development techniques. For me, it's a nice break from large format... limited controls allow you to work faster, and concentrate on only the image. I do prefer Dianas, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    they are just kinda fun...LOL. I love mine, it has just the right effect for me. I hear that many times the masks scratch film and that a fingernail file/emery board is a good idea and a good de-dust of it then after file job to clean it out. It is a fun camera to toss about and not worry about too much. For $24 I've always been happy with mine. I have to push like 2 stops typically but I just keep that in mind. Here are a few old shots from mine:

j e s s i c a | d i t t m e r

epp
    Shooter
    Holga
    I once had a cheap 120 TLR camera, not a Holga. The first roll of film had scratches going the entire length of the negatives. It was then that I discovered a burr in the metal of the frame mask. I wrapped the two ends of the mask with black electrical tape. Then shot a new roll, no scratches.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did the camera get warm at all from the sun? Electrical tape adhesive has a tendency to turn into a sticky mess at slightly warmer temperatures. I'd be hesitant to put it anywhere where something rubs against it. Maybe this is getting on the film.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbuzzclick View Post
    Did the camera get warm at all from the sun? Electrical tape adhesive has a tendency to turn into a sticky mess at slightly warmer temperatures. I'd be hesitant to put it anywhere where something rubs against it. Maybe this is getting on the film.
    I use electrical tape in almost all my Holgas and I have never had a stickiness problem, even out here in Southern California where it gets *HOT* during the summer. I shot some great stuff at the Coachella festival a number of years ago that I ended up cross-processing--no stickiness, even though it was over 100 degrees there that day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A little bit of sanding with a very fine paper and polishing is all that is needed

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin