Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,409   Online: 1164

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Photo Challenge - New vs. Old Diana

Hello All -

Its often said that the vintage Dianas are a much more interesting picture that the new ones - for any particular reason that you may care to offer (though I would agree that the price of a current version automatically makes them slightly less cool)

If any of you have both a new and old version - I only have a new one - I would love to see a side by side comparison of the two - same composition, same film, same processing and then we can let the critique begin. Hell I'd even be willing to front some film costs in the name of photographic discovery.

Any takers?

Neil

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The problem is the old ones varied CONSIDERABLY from sample to sample. Some vignetted a lot, some none, some were completely blurry in the corners, others reasonably sharp across the frame. Even the viewfinder accuracy varied. A lot. Some leak light, some do not.

I have two old ones and one new one. i have not used the new one at all yet, so cannot compare, but like I said, any comparison will be useless because the old ones varied so much.

Here's some with one of my old ones:

I should try my new one.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Chris,
    That would be an interesting study all by itself - two (or more even) old ones and new one or two just to see the variation......

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nhemann View Post
    Hello All -

Its often said that the vintage Dianas are a much more interesting picture that the new ones - for any particular reason that you may care to offer (though I would agree that the price of a current version automatically makes them slightly less cool)

If any of you have both a new and old version - I only have a new one - I would love to see a side by side comparison of the two - same composition, same film, same processing and then we can let the critique begin. Hell I'd even be willing to front some film costs in the name of photographic discovery.

Any takers?

Neil
    well - I don't know about "more interesting" (a matter of taste of course), but certainly different.

I get annoyed when I hear the claim that it is the same camera - same lens and so on.
    It is clearly not.

I have both. Used the new one once - the old one for years.

I'll upload two images. Not the same film/processing and so on, but maybe to clarify what I am thinking...

The first is done with the new Diana+ (gold version, if you please...)

The figure in the lower right corner would never in a million years be seen so clearly on an old Diana... the new one makes much clearer images - the old one seems to have a very small person sitting in each corner; pulling in the negative/motive...

the second one is made with the old Di.

Not better (as I actually like the little figure in the first image), but different (?).

It only shows, that one need to know what one's camera can do - and what it does to a motive...

But they are different for sure.

It all depends on the background I think. I have "old" Diana images, where the distortion isn't that obvious, bu tI havn't managed to get the new Diana to do it...

Dark corners? Proberly on both...

EDIT: about the variations: true! I actually have a "version" which makes sharper images in the corners than in the middle.... Hard to do something worth wile with....;-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails diana+.jpg   diana-old.jpg  
    Last edited by gandolfi; 03-01-2011 at 03:19 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: edit

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    this thread "died" quickly....

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Yeah -- the side-by-side testing idea did not pan out. But either here or in the imaging sharing thread, an alternate would just be to post Diana images (no other plastic camera type) and just label them as either from the original Diana or the new Diana. After awhile, we would get a much better picture of the differences.

Alex and Calder, North Jetty -- scanned platinum print
    Film: Expired Tech Pan in original Diana camera (double exposure)

Peace: scanned silver print
    Film: Some type of expired film in original Diana camera (on World Toy Camera Day)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alex, Calder, North Jetty.jpg   Imagine.jpg  
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi guys - Yeah, I was a little surprised at the lack of interest in the topic...I thought it was a pretty cool idea myself :-)

I'm still game to do some real "studies" if anybody is interested...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nhemann View Post

I'm still game to do some real "studies" if anybody is interested...
    go for it..
    I've never shot either but am always interested in interesting imagery.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chriscrawfordphoto View Post
    The problem is the old ones varied CONSIDERABLY from sample to sample.
    But isn't that part of the, ahem, charm of the original? You never really know what you're going to get. It seems to me that by introducing some minimal level of quality control to the manufacturing, you remove some of that quirkiness. I suppose that fits in with selling them at places like Urban Outfitters, where you go if you want a little bit of quirkiness, but not too much. The quirkiness is reducing to a predictable effect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The problem is that I don't personally own an old Diana, only a new one. Now if somebody wanted to lend me a vintage lady or two - I'm a very trustworthy fellow, btw - I would be more than happy to perform this test for the benefit of us all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin