Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,914   Online: 957

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Polaroid Swinger

I picked it up at a 2nd hand shop...with a Swinger case. It has the original manual and the original fixer in there. (Still very very VERY pungent!)

The batteries were left inside and have left the battery acid all over the inside of where the batteries go. Can this be fixed? And can batteries even be purchased for it?

Or do I just have a really neat conversation piece for the mantel?
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning...It smells like...PHOTOGRAPHY!

The photo blog has moved...
    I Love Film : by Susan McNutt, the mad photographer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get a tooth brush, some baking soda and a little water.
    Make a thin paste and use the toothbrush to try to clean the battery compartment down to the metal contacts for the battery.

Batteries should be available but IDK about film. (doubt it but IDK)
    What battery does it take?

I had a white one around the early 70's and remember the coating containers & applicator.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most of the cameras with the name Swinger use film which is no longer available. They either used roll film or square pack film, both have been gone for many years. You can make sure that this is the case by looking up your particular camera on the Land List at http://www.rwhirled.com/landlist/landdcam.htm. If it is just a Swinger and has no modifiers at all on the name, it used roll film and that is indeed very long gone. If it is the Big Swinger, you are in luck, the Fuji pack film will fit.

The land list site may also have assistance with the battery issue, if the camera uses available film.

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't even tried to take out the batteries yet. They're pretty well STUCK in there. The corrosion from the two batteries looks pretty bad. I can't hardly see the batteries for the stuff. My husband suggested taking it apart and making a pinhole camera out of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sorensen View Post
    Most of the cameras with the name Swinger use film which is no longer available. They either used roll film or square pack film, both have been gone for many years. You can make sure that this is the case by looking up your particular camera on the Land List at http://www.rwhirled.com/landlist/landdcam.htm. If it is just a Swinger and has no modifiers at all on the name, it used roll film and that is indeed very long gone. If it is the Big Swinger, you are in luck, the Fuji pack film will fit.

The land list site may also have assistance with the battery issue, if the camera uses available film.

Paul
    Yup. The film is long gone as it was the roll film. *shrugs* My husband wants to take a look at it and see if any modifications can be made to it or just take the whole thing apart and scavenge the plastic lens and housing for it. *shrugs*

Or I might give it to one of my ball joint dolls as a prop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are pack film conversions for roll film models. The batteries can be converted to AAA or a lithium cell as well instead of the old batteries which are hard to find. Otherwise they make good conversation pieces. Pack film (Fuji the only source now or expired Polaroid) is a lot of fun.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll see if I can get the battery case cleaned out first before the husband and I start taking it apart. As it's not the weekend, I've not much time to really do much...because I have two pair of pants that need hemming. I just have to convince my youngest he needs to WEAR them so I can stick pins in them...and try not to turn him into a voodoo doll.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For a camera like this a conversion would probably be difficult and not gain you much except for the fun of doing the conversion, if you are into that kind of thing. If you want to shoot Polaroids, there are scads of decent to good pack film cameras out there for very little money. I bought a Polaroid 240 for about $20 on eBay and I love it. Batteries are a little hard to find, but possible. There are also very good pack film cameras out there for pretty real money too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can easily convert that 240 to use 3xAAA batteries. My 100 has had that conversion done. It is easier to find AAA's at any store than the 531 batteries for $9 each on eBay.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    You can easily convert that 240 to use 3xAAA batteries. My 100 has had that conversion done. It is easier to find AAA's at any store than the 531 batteries for $9 each on eBay.
    I might give that a try. Did you do it yourself? I am guessing I would need to solder in some sort of battery holder, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin