Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,866   Online: 926

Shooter
    Large Format

Mandel-Ette Postcard Camera

Hello All,

Don't know if this post belongs in here but I couldn't think of any other forum to put it in. I inherited an awesome camera today called the Mandel-Ette Postcard Camera. Apparently street photographs used to use this camera back in the 1910's for making direct positive prints. I reached inside of the camera and low and behold there was the original postcards (photographic paper) in there!!! Just wondering if anyone has any advice about what I should do with this thing or if anyone has any more information on it. I doubt taking photos with it would work since the emulsion is almost 100 years old. Even if I could, I would have no idea where to start in terms of the cameras aperture, the speed of the paper (if it has one), and what to develop in. Anyway, any input or comments would be great!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i have wanted one of these cameras for ages ... congratulations, you are one lucky person !

the thing that is hanging under the camera is a chemical tank,
    you should also have a " sleeve " so you can stick your arm in the camera after the exposure
    and drop your paper into the tank.
    i am not sure what kind of developer was used, or if there is more than one tank ( dev+fix ) or if the developer
    was a proprietary monobath the chicago ferrotype company had for their direct positive paper
    you could probably use that to shoot paper negatives instead of what it was intended for . and drop all your exposed sheets
    into the tank for "post exposure storage "

have fun !
    john
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Aaron ,

I fallen in love the camera and thanks to Johns explanations about the chemical tank . Its a marvellous idea. Can you post the postcards scans. I really want to see the lens emulsion performance. You can may be sell it to SF MOMA or Eastman House. Just post a thread to emulsion making forum here in APUG and PE can offer some formulas for your new papers and chemicals also.
    I dont know Where you can learn its price but there are antique camera price guides . Please keep the prints safe sealed container far from the direct light and moisture. As someone said ideal is % 50 and you can protect them with humidifier tablets.

Umut

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i have wanted one of these cameras for ages ... congratulations, you are one lucky person !

the thing that is hanging under the camera is a chemical tank,
    you should also have a " sleeve " so you can stick your arm in the camera after the exposure
    and drop your paper into the tank.
    i am not sure what kind of developer was used, or if there is more than one tank ( dev+fix ) or if the developer
    was a proprietary monobath the chicago ferrotype company had for their direct positive paper
    you could probably use that to shoot paper negatives instead of what it was intended for . and drop all your exposed sheets
    into the tank for "post exposure storage "

have fun !
    john
    I'll probably end up doing some paper negatives, that sounds fun. That's awesome that the thing underneath is for developing. What a genius idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac
    Aaron ,

I fallen in love the camera and thanks to Johns explanations about the chemical tank . Its a marvellous idea. Can you post the postcards scans. I really want to see the lens emulsion performance. You can may be sell it to SF MOMA or Eastman House. Just post a thread to emulsion making forum here in APUG and PE can offer some formulas for your new papers and chemicals also.
    I dont know Where you can learn its price but there are antique camera price guides . Please keep the prints safe sealed container far from the direct light and moisture. As someone said ideal is % 50 and you can protect them with humidifier tablets.

Umut
    Thanks for the reply! The funny thing is that the prints that are in there are not developed or have not been exposed. The one that I pulled out had no picture on it and I don't want to pull any of those other ones out. The emulsion side of the paper had a greenish tone to it. I don't know if that's how they originally looked or if that's because of almost 100 years of aging. I'll definitely try to look up prices for it. Don't know if I'd want to sell it though, the thing is amazing!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin