Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,072   Online: 947

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by marco5555 View Post
    Thank you! I suppose in buying an expensive Lomographic camera, you get nonphotographic payoffs, such as being 'vintage' or being cool. School yard politics much?
    Pretty much. You can get a whole other set of payoffs by getting your gear at a thrift store and being in with the crowd who knows better than to be in with that crowd. There's no end to it. Just have fun and don't go broke.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just have fun and don't go broke.
    My motto

Shooter
    35mm
    As I understand it, production of the original Lubitel had finished. I guess restarting production, which would have involved trying to resource all the components (it's a lot more complex than a Holga) would not have been cheap. Also it probably only sells in low numbers, so the costs have to be recovered on only a smallish number of sales. Having said that, I think the price is incredibly high, and as it is still possible to get better quality secondhand TLR's for far less, I can't personally see the point in getting a Lubitel. As for the Holga's, Diana's etc I agree they are very overpriced for such basic plastic cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    all new cameras are expensive / over priced
    it doesn't matter what kind.
    ones with a cult following are .. more-so
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by marco5555 View Post
    Thank you! I suppose in buying an expensive Lomographic camera, you get nonphotographic payoffs, such as being 'vintage' or being cool. School yard politics much?
    oh, I'm sure it would take more than that, you'd need the clothes, hair and such...

anyway, the cheap ones and the expensive ones look and work the same, so you do get more than just a membership card.

Shooter
    35mm
    I like my Holga and Lubitel, but I also paid $20 a piece for them. They are genuinely cool cameras, but not worth the Lomo price. The Holga does have a distinctive look whether you love it or hate it. If you like it, then buy one from Hong Kong for $20 instead of $50+ from Lomo or Urban outfitters. I bought the Lubitel from a Russian. It's a perfectly usable camera with a good lens, but it's not as nice as a Yashica or Ciroflex. The Lubitel is, however, much smaller and very adaptable to street photography if you stop it down and prefocus. It's not at all worth $300, though.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Overpriced, perhaps. But the "scam" that some deem to be Lomo is helping keep up the demand for 120 roll film, helping to keep it in production, and that can only be a good thing.

~Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah! They are crazy, and so is the "lomo" film. This being said, I spent $80 for a Blackbird, Fly, and I feel that while it was a crazy price, I have got my money's worth. (I knew I would.) Normal retail price is $120, but some guy in England was selling them cheaper, so I got three. I got two for holiday gifts and one for myself.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Yep they are overpriced but so are Leicas and Hasselblads.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tomalophicon View Post
    Yep they are overpriced but so are Leicas and Hasselblads.
    ...maybe, but like most things in life you get what you pay for. Having shot 6 different 35mm systems and 4 medium format systems over the years, I've settled on Leica and Hasselblad. Even though you can still make great photographs with any camera out there if you know how to use it, I've found that the quality of my prints are much better when I use negatives from these systems as opposed to my other ones. I think "overpriced" is the wrong term to use. I would say "more expensive".

Given you can get similar results with pinholes or other cameras shot wide open, I see no reason to get a lomo. I borrowed one from the store this week, shot a roll and it's nothing special. The meter on it was about 2 stops under exposed and I had very little focusing freedom along with no choice in shutter speed. A very limiting camera in my opinion and not worth wasting time and money on. If you like the "look" it gives, you can keep your $50-250 and make your own pinhole or go to a thrift shop and pick up a cheap point-and-shoot and buy some film with the money you save. Many people like the lomo look, but fail to realize that much of it is just cheap optics (as well as a lens that doesn't quite cover the film it takes) paired with cross-processing slide film.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin