Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,894   Posts: 1,520,887   Online: 1031

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Manufacturing Costs - Defence of LOMO

There was a TV programme on in the UK on manufacturing, design and marketing. On that they reckoned that only 5% of the cost of an iPad went towards the manufacture. If it is the same with LOMO then it easily explains the price. They market a minority interest product worldwide. Organise batch manufacture in a low cost economy. I do not think they are ripping people off. Making a good profit means they can produce a wide range of interesting items.

30 - 40 years these types of products were made in western countries. check out how much they cost then, add inflation and I expect the real price today would not be so far off LOMO prices.

Chocolate bars are a good indicator of inflation. I reckon a basic camera cost around £5 in the 1960s. An inflation factor of 20 gives a current price of £100 and I think I have erred on the low side.

'Stuff' is now cheaper than it has ever been because of low cost manufacturing countries. Real value will only be appreciated again when the whole world has the same standard of living.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    While people going towards standard cameras, there were some who were keen to go ahead of the photography that time and one of these passion’s creation was lomography camera. The thing with such cameras was that at first only serious photographers would go for it and so it would come cheap. Until some wannabe came and started buying more and more lomography cameras. Since then there has been a rise in prices of lomography cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love it when folks who can't afford to buy something diss those that can (and do). This thread reminds me of high school, and since I don't most of you participants, maybe you all are - any way there is always a group of kids critiquing every other kid.

Whatever turns you on.

I personally could care less what another person buys. I think I have a better life to live.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As a noob to APUG, i'm sorry if this view has been expressed a million times before, but glancing at this thread i didn't see to much of it.

Yes, Lomography cameras are over priced for the individual items, that is almost undeniable. However they are doing several things that I think help justify the cost.

Firstly they are pretty much the only company in the world making new film cameras, with new lenses, bodies, winding mechanisms; from scratch. Just look at the new LC-Wide. This take a considerable amount of R&D which is not cheap.

Secondly, they are genuinely bringing many new people, myself included, into film photography. I started with a Diana and now have several other Lomo cameras, but also shoot lots with an olympus OM-2n and an old Agilux folding range finder. Lomography has helped develop and sustain my interest to the point where I have broadened out from the lomo style and tried to learn a lot more about photography generally.

Finally, you don't need to spend anything to get Lomography's cameras or anything else in their store. They literally give money away (and lots of it) with there piggy points scheme. In the last 6-8 months i've earned/won/was just given, enough piggy points to get £487 worth of cameras and film from their site. All i've done is write a few short articles, enter a few 'everyone wins' competitions and keep an eye on their facebook page.

Their cameras might be expensive, but they're not when they are completely free! If a few of the serious photographers around here started writing articles and sharing their experience around here, they'd never have to pay for film again.

Now i'm off to decide what to do with the last £150 in piggies i've received in two months.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by thegman View Post
    I have a Lomo LC-A+, bought brand new from one of the Fashionista Lomo shops. It's incredibly over priced, but I'll admit I really like it as a camera. I'd say they're worth about 25% of the selling price, although they come with a a nice hard back book of photos, a nice wooden crate/box, and some other trinkets, which add to the value somewhat.

Yes, they are crazy expensive for what they are, but so is an Leica M7 compared to a Bessa R3A. They're functionally the same, but one cost 10 times what the other costs. Sure the Leica is better built, maybe a bit prettier, and that makes it worth maybe twice the price? 3 times? 4 times? 10 times?

The Lomo is the same, they are pricey for what they are, you could get a functional equivalent for 10% of the price. However, I would pay that premium because I like the camera, the results, and I'll admit it, I like the brand and the marketing. I'd buy a Leica too, for the same reasons.

Whether it's better to get a second hand camera instead is up to the user, but I find it amazing and great in this day and age that in the past couple of years London has got *2* new Lomography shops, dedicated to film cameras and film photography. Some people would rather there was a Jessops there instead selling Casio Exlims or whatever, I'd rather the Lomo shop.
    The Lomo's are way overpriced as compared to the Leica. The Leica is worth its price.

Shooter
    35mm
    Lomography cameras are very cheaply made and are not worth the money if one expects quality made cameras.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    The Lomo's are way overpriced as compared to the Leica. The Leica is worth its price.
    The Leica is not worth its price.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simonh82 View Post
    .......Firstly they are pretty much the only company in the world making new film cameras, with new lenses, bodies, winding mechanisms; from scratch........
    Well, no they're not but you are forgiven for thinking that because the other companies have practically given up on marketing their film cameras. Nikon and Canon still make their top-of-the-line film SLRs, Cosina is making film bodies sold under various labels - Voigtlander, Zeiss Ikon, Fuji, etc. Mamiya still make film-capable medium format bodies, and I am sure there are a few others I have missed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    got my lubitel 166b off ebay for £25! it doesnt have as many features as the lomo lubitel 166+ but i dont really need to shoot 35mm as well as 120.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    one could easily suggest that everything seems to be a scam ...

10-15 years ago i used to buy brass lenses all the time .. they were a cheap way
    to buy a lens and stick it on a speed graphic rather than buy a "modern shuttered lens"
    at the time i was buying them they didn't cost more than 10-15$ maybe 35$ tops ..
    now these same lenses are being sold for big bucks by comparison ...
    because now there there is a demand for them.

lomo cameras are the same thing. there is a demand for them, people think they are chic so they charge a premium for them
    it is an example of the perfect business model ... minimal cost then mark it up ... like handbags, or athletic shoes, lomo cameras and everything else ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin