Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,340   Online: 1051

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Are some Lomography cameras scams?

Hey guys!

I was just wondering if some of you guys thought that for some Lomography cameras their prices are completely unjustified? I'm thinking of the Lubitel but same goes for many others!

Please note: I don't believe that all Lomo cameras are scams, I love my Holgas and Sprocket Rocket.

Shooter
    35mm

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Is that support?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Lubitel 166+ goes for $350 US. A Yashica-Mat overhauled by the best goes for the same, with a much better lens, a metal body, better viewfinder, etc. That would be my criteria- can I get something of better quality for the same? Then why pay so much?

Find a Ciroflex from the '40s for $50 or less. Clean it up, and put the other $300 into film. Or do a Yashica 635 if you want sprocket holes, just leave out the mask.

With the Lubitel, you get an instant community and instant recognition among a certain crowd. If that is worth it to you, go for it! The important thing is to be shooting and enjoying yourself. A Lubitel may not give me what I value in a camera but it might give you exactly what you value, and then it is worth every penny. Looking at your work on flickr, you're doing a lot, trying a lot of things. If the Lubitel is the camera you want to use next, do it. The worst that happens is you are out a little money; the best is that it takes you along to wherever you are heading next.
    Last edited by Dan Daniel; 04-11-2011 at 11:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yup, they are... in my opinion. You've hit one of my favourite topics.

Back when "Lomo" wasn't such a fad, I used to see Dianas and Pouvas at the fleamarket for almost free. Sellers even used to offer them as a little free extra when you bought something else. Now they cost about as much as a modern SLR in good working condition, though they're still the same cheap pieces of plastic... Why? Because some hipsters think, they can buy some kind of "lifestyle" with these cameras and are willing to pay for it. It's a free market and the demand is big enough to justify the ridiculous prices.
    When you buy them directly from the lomography shop and not used, it becomes even worse. These things (Holga, Lubitel, etc.) cost almost nothing to produce, even less than the shipping to Europe or the US, but the shop can have a profit margin of several hundred percent and still sell loads. I even built a few cameras that took similar pictures from cardboard boxes and scrap lenses - it's not difficult or expensive at all!

Of course, there are a few nice and innovative cameras like the Sprocket Rocket or Spinner that can't really be substituted by anything. There are other panoramic cameras, but they're much more expensive and aimed at a completely different demographic.

Quite honestly, I don't understand "Lomography"... don't get me wrong, I love some of the results, the style of shooting and the fact that it brings people to analog photography. I think, I could be classified as a "Lomographer" myself some of the time, but the whole "scene" is a complete mystery to me. Just can't get it into my head, why people go so crazy about it.

/end of rant. Lomography-Hipsters please don't feel too offended.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Scam? No. Seriously overpriced? Yes, and Lomographic Society International is doing a heck of a job of separating Hipsters from their money!

Save your money and buy some old, cheap cameras on eBay or at Goodwill and spend the money you saved on film. You'll get the same or better results and will help keep old cameras out of landfills.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I reckon, especially when you can get such great secondhand cameras so inexpensively. I complain about this at length here http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/201...a-using-chums/ :-)

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    President, Melbourne Silver Mine Inc.
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/
    http://silvermine.org.au

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a Lomo LC-A+, bought brand new from one of the Fashionista Lomo shops. It's incredibly over priced, but I'll admit I really like it as a camera. I'd say they're worth about 25% of the selling price, although they come with a a nice hard back book of photos, a nice wooden crate/box, and some other trinkets, which add to the value somewhat.

Yes, they are crazy expensive for what they are, but so is an Leica M7 compared to a Bessa R3A. They're functionally the same, but one cost 10 times what the other costs. Sure the Leica is better built, maybe a bit prettier, and that makes it worth maybe twice the price? 3 times? 4 times? 10 times?

The Lomo is the same, they are pricey for what they are, you could get a functional equivalent for 10% of the price. However, I would pay that premium because I like the camera, the results, and I'll admit it, I like the brand and the marketing. I'd buy a Leica too, for the same reasons.

Whether it's better to get a second hand camera instead is up to the user, but I find it amazing and great in this day and age that in the past couple of years London has got *2* new Lomography shops, dedicated to film cameras and film photography. Some people would rather there was a Jessops there instead selling Casio Exlims or whatever, I'd rather the Lomo shop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    yes, definitely yes, even if only by happenstance. I say that as someone that owns 2 holgas and loves them.

they have however, as everyone has said, become a trend. when I bought my first one only 2 years ago, the price reflected it's worth (pretty worthless) and I've since watched the price clime at a rate that is almost unbelievable.

I bought an almost mint condition Yashica LM44 for less than the price I'd have to pay for a holga now.

the reason I bought my first Holga was so I could chop it up and experiment with it... the reason I bought the second was so I could do the same. now that isn't really an option.

Alas, it's become a fad and prices have gone up, but there is hope that when all the hipsters move on to whatever they move on to next (probably the holgarise app on the iphone) - there will be a whole lot of these cams on ebay

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you! I suppose in buying an expensive Lomographic camera, you get nonphotographic payoffs, such as being 'vintage' or being cool. School yard politics much?

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin