Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,326   Online: 937

Shooter
    4x5 Format

M sync converter

Has anyone ever come across a device that would convert the M sync of your average pack film Polaroid to X sync? It doesn't seem like it would be so hard to make something that adds a 20 ms delay so that an electronic flash would fire at the right time, but Google came up with nothing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Doesn't the M sync fire in advance of the shutter to give flash bulbs a chance to get going? In that case, a delay is what is needed.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Doesn't the M sync fire in advance of the shutter to give flash bulbs a chance to get going? In that case, a delay is what is needed.

Steve.
    You and the OP are right. Sorry, I got it confused.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    By me removing my original response, this got lost as well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_synchronization
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    That is basically a work around - bump up the power on the flash to get a longer duration - and so far has been a bit too much trial and lots of error for my liking. I've also got a 360 which has its own dedicated flash but I'll need to get a 240/110 stepdown transformer (for the charger) and replace the nicads in the flash before I even know whether it will work. Other options all involve some sort of hacking which is why I am looking for a plug-in solution before I reach for the Dremel.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can build a delay circuit, I suppose, or perhaps purchase one pre made. I am sure you could learn how to do it with a visit to the library.

If you like to shoot tons of Polaroids, I would look at Mamiya Universals as well. They are great cameras, and they are pretty light with the Polaroid back (not so much with a film back).
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The easiest (but probably not the best) method would be to use the camera's contacts to operate a relay and use the relay's switch contacts to fire the flash. This will probably not introduce enough delay by itself but to increase the delay, I would use something like a 5 volt relay with a 9 volt battery and have a series resistor in line which is similar in value to the resistance of the relay's coil. I would then experiment with connecting capacitors across the coil to delay the turn on time.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin