Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,613   Online: 1152

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak Hawkeye doesn't bunch so well . . .

On a recent shoot in Washington DC, to capture my images for World Wide Pinhole Photography day I took my flipped lens Hawkeye and burned a roll with it. Upon returning to my car I was switching hands to get to my car keys. The pass was missed and my small Tamrac case was dropped. In it were the Hawkeye, 2 Olympus OM 2S cameras, one with the 100m f2 and the other with the 24mm f2. Yes, my heart stopped for a moment. My pinhole camera was in my jacket and unharmed. Both the OM cameras and lenses survived, however the Hawkeye was toast. I thought I might have gotten lucky and just busted one half of it and could use the other half. That was not the case. It is now a potential donor camera, Dropping it perhaps 2 feet in a padded case I hoped it would have survived. Lesson lerned, Hawkeyes don't bounce. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    nsurit,to bad about your Hawkeye,could you tell me the reason for turning (flipping) the lens around in the Hawkeye,and do you have to flip the shutter also?

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Only the lens needs to be flipped. It gives you an image, sharp in the center and a bit softer on the outside. Some folks find it pleasing. I have a couple of spares that have not been flipped and will just need to spend a little time cleaning them up and making sure the things that work, work correctly. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, looks like you are out a $5 camera. On the upside, you are a pinhole shooter? I bet that rotary shutter plate would mount inside a cigar box with minimum of effort.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for your replay Bill,I have a Hawkeye in shutter that I've managed to adopt to my Hasselblad.I've seen some photo's taken with meniscus lens and was hoping for getting the same result with the Hawkeye and will try the flipping of the lens soon.The shutter is pretty good,tested at 1/35 of a sec. and working out the f stops now.It is a remarkable little lens and shutter kit.

Mike

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin