Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,213   Online: 926

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Fujifilm FP-3000B vs INSTAX ; lack of good blacks and whites

I just shot some FP-3000B last night and was a little dissapointed in the lack of good rich blacks and bright whites. When buying the film pack at the shop, I saw a bunch of little Instax color pictures they had on display and was amazed at them. In fact, I thought they were fake. They had very good contrast and sharpness, way different from how I remember SX-70.

The last time I used the b&w Polaroid was in 1968. I recall back then that even after coating the prints with the clear stuff the dmax was not all that great and the whites were not all that good. I thought it may have been the camera or the lens, but now I have a very nice Polaroid 250 with a clear lens and just thought I'd be getting results more like the Instax pictues I saw.

Any thoughts on this from the regular B&W instant film users? What is the best that I can expect from the Fujifilm FP-3000B?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One thing you might try is extending the development time. I still am using old Polaroid for B&W, but extending the development time about 10-15 seconds always seems to improve contrast for me.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    Large Format
    I agree... Maybe try developing longer. The 3000b film has very deep blacks...I mean it is a silver diffusion contact print....not sure how the blacks could be blacker. Try pulling an unexposed shot to see the full frame in pure black.

As for instax, it is worlds sharper with truer colors than sx-70. Also it holds up amazingly well in storage. I have instax film expired 7 years ago and the colors are still true when I shoot with it. Really impressive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get some FP-100B, gorgeous blacks, wonderful reciprocity so you can shoot 10s shots without adjusting exposure time. Much finer detail than FP-3000B as well. Can't hand hold it indoors which is the forte of 3000B but if you have light or a tripod, 100B is the best there is.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the input. I'll be using the camera at our APUG gathering in Ohio USA this weekend.

Shooter
    Instant Films
    I've not used 3000-B but I suspect 3000-B and 100-B self terminate their development like 100-C does. I often shoot several shots of either 100 speed and don't peel them apart till I get home so adding development time surely won't do much, if anything for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When out and about I too often just leave them as they are sticky when you first peel them which is a pain in the butt. Or if I must peel them to check for exposure and composition, I try to stay near my car where I can lay them flat.

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shot some side-by side shots with a friend with a similar camera; both with current Fuji film, it looks like my lens has a little more flare. I had the opportunity to examine the lens very well when the keeper spring came off the second shutter blade and had to disassemble the shutter. It looks like getting the front two elements apart will be difficult. There are not grooves for a lens-wrench on the lens ring. There are three spots of glue holding the lens ring in place (impervious to acetone). I'll live with a little haze between those two elements for now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    UPDATE:
    I got some good images today after solving the following camera issues:

1) shutter was not closing all the way, fogging the film between shots --- spring tightened
    2) Using 3000 speed outdoors --- DON'T! the tiny aperture diffracts way way too much for me. Maybe some ND filters can be rigged to cover the lens and the sensor.
    3) Lens not clean --- front end disassembled and lens surfaces cleaned

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Definitely 100 speed for outdoors, same as with regular film. Would you use Delta 3200 on a sunny day? Maybe if you need 1/8000 shutter speed at f/22...

Happiness is...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin