Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,847   Posts: 1,582,770   Online: 877

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Holga: Glass or plastic lens?

Hey guys,
    What are people's experiences with Holgas in regards to sharpest center and most corner vignetting? Do the glass lens models have greater sharpness or smoother light falloff?

Thanks!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Buy both and find out?
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would but I'm broke.

Shooter
    Large Format
    experiences? well, i only got vignetting when I took 16 pictures with the 12 picture insert in place.
    never had it when I run the camera correctly.
    plastic lens has REALLY good sharpness in my camera. maybe it's just an anomaly.
    the glass lens is just a holga with a higher quality lens that will produce higher quality results.
    i'd assume both can vignette about the same, but the glass probably takes slightly better pictures, assuming everything else is the same.
    IMHO, it seems the 'idea' behind the holga is kinda reduced with a higher quality glass lens.
    get either one. if the camera doesn't quite do it for weird pictures, then try the holga films and the holga enlarger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm going to guess that the differences between the glass and plastic are going to be insignificant when compared to the differences caused by randomness in the manufacturing process. I've seen different sharpness and vignetting characteristics among a wide variety of the Holga 120N, so I think that it really depends on luck of the draw, so to speak.

That said, I did find this comparison article that may interest you:
    http://www.holgablog.com/2009/07/28/...-the-shootout/
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yeknom02 View Post
    I'm going to guess that the differences between the glass and plastic are going to be insignificant when compared to the differences caused by randomness in the manufacturing process. I've seen different sharpness and vignetting characteristics among a wide variety of the Holga 120N, so I think that it really depends on luck of the draw, so to speak.

That said, I did find this comparison article that may interest you:
    http://www.holgablog.com/2009/07/28/...-the-shootout/
    +1
    I have three Holgas (one being a very expensive Holgamod) with plastic lenses (sorry, never tried the glass lens) and every single one is different. The one I like best is the first one I ever bought -- sharp center, soft around the edges and mostly even vingetting around the corners. I think if you truly want a Holga look, for for the plastic lens.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have one with glass lens and I really like the results. I never tried the plastic one, but I bought mine because of an advice from a friend who own both of them. I had the same doubt at the time.

Shooter
    35mm
    It's all about luck with Holgas... some actually take sharp pictures and some don't, whether it's glass or plastic. The (usually bad) build quality and allignment is much more important than the lens material. I once had a box camera that I wanted to use for Lomography, but it was just too good for my taste - a light tap with a plastic hammer did the job

I'd go for the plastic... it's the classic. And it's hard to actually break anything, if you decide to "modify" it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd go for a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does a Holga even have a lens??
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin