Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,496   Online: 1127

Shooter
    Medium Format

126 camera problems

Sorry if this is the wrong thread but i didnt see a thread for old cameras or films so anyway, i loaded some 35 into a 126 cassette and all was fine. loaded it into my instamatic and took the first shot but when winding the film it seemed like it was "skipping" like it wasnt really catching the film. I understand about the 35 sprockets vs the old 126 holes but is there another trick that I need to know? The winder got stuck on the camera and I couldnt get it to reset so I switched the cassette to another 126 and after two shots I got the same problem. I finally pushed the winder in and it went back but it just keeps getting stuck and even if i try to wind it forward slowly. I have to force it back by pushing in. Could the cassette be the issue? Ugh my camera experiments are just not going right Please help. Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You don't say which Instamatic cameras, but for most Kodaks the trick is to take a second shot with the lens covered (e.g. pressed against your pants or with a cap on.) The hole finger begins to extend in the middle of the wind stroke so it takes two winds to advance a complete frame if there are extra perforations. Other cameras may work differently so you really need to see what the finger does to know for sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With my Instamatic 500 I cut the 'finger' off that detects the sprocket so I can use unperforated film (mostly bulk Kodak 160NC, some Rollei Retro 400S). I wind 1.5 times per frame for the proper spacing or 2x to be sure. I put the shutter at 1/500 and f/22 and take a picture on my arm for the in between shot, still gets some light leak once in a while, wish I had a lens cap for it but it's a 32mm Retina size and lens caps are more than I paid for the camera! Can take some fun continuous shots as well.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    127 Format
    Many Instamatic cameras will allow you to advance as far as you like using this method:

1) After taking your picture and before winding the film forward, hold the shutter release button down tightly.

2) While maintaining pressure on the shutter release, wind your film to your next position.

3) Release pressure on the shutter button and very slightly wind the film just a bit more. (this will set the advance lock)

This technique works perfectly for sprocketed 35mm film since there are too many holes between frames.

Unfortunately it doesn't work on all cameras but give it a try.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for those tips everyone. BTW the cameras I used are the 304 and hawkeye r4. Odd coincidence, today I picked up another instamatic 104 only because it had a cartridge in it with 3 shots left!!! I was with my friend at the swap so I took the last few shots and It did the same darn thing the other cameras did!! What about taking it apart and cleaning, probably lots of years of dirt in there

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin