Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,564   Online: 1055

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    A toy camera is one that costs less than the roll of film with which it is loaded.

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by HMFriedman View Post
    A toy camera is one that costs less than the roll of film with which it is loaded.
    in this case there would be very few. a toy camera as I understand it, is a camera with which I want to play around and not do serious work. although the result might be fantastic and quite be commercially exploitable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Plastic body and lens, no settable focus, aperture, shutter or film speed, just shutter release and film advance. Pure and simple.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    By that definition, the Holga is not a toy camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, that's what I'm saying. Just my definition...

Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    By that definition, the Holga is not a toy camera.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anything originally produced to sell at a very inexpensive price point. Intended for beginners, and uncomplicated ease of use. Something you can hand to a kid and not worry about and expect viewable images back. Designed for fun, and have looser tolerances in all aspects of use and build.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is any camera you are using when you are not being paid!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HMFriedman View Post
    Good! My toy camera, an original Diana, cost me 75 cents (marked down from $1 at the thrift store). Now if I can find 120 film as cheap as the camera!LOL!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The creative part of a Krappy Kam is its Krappy Lens - invariably a plano-convex with the aperture mounted too close to the lens. The problem is the rest of the Kam is so unreliable, and usually the worse [better] the lens the more unreliable the shutter/winding mechanism/door latch/etc.. The Empire Baby is probably the worst/best example. It was also my first camera, purchased at the age of 7 for 2s/6d [make it 50 cents] at Woolworths. It cost a lot less than the film and processing that I had to wheedle out of parents and relatives.

Reliable almost-a-toy cameras from Kodak, Herbert George ('Imperial'), Ansco and others had meniscus lenses and correctly placed apertures and produced results that were uninteresting.

'Lens Baby' was supposed to be the answer - a crappy lens for your Nikanoltax - but the prices got out of hand and the lenses never had the right amount of optical charm. I have found a good lens is a Spiratone Portagon coupled to a 2x extender - without the extender there is too much peripheral blur.

A Petzval portrait lens for 35mm would be intriguing.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    A toy is something to play with. Leicas, Wistas, Speed Graphics are all things that can be played with. For collectors who do not use them, they are indeed nothing but toys.

My BMW is a toy, and so is my very fast crotch rocket motorcycle. They are objects of play.

They become tools when used. A plastic box with a hole, a Mickey Mouse camera to get an image onto film, a Holga used to expose film or grafted onto a digital camera, is a tool.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin