Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,499   Online: 1215

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know anything about the cameras but IIRC there is a member with a user name of mayfair who has posted some really wonderful images in the gallery using one. Search the gallery and send them a PM.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    i have one of these cameras. i believe its the third version. it is very basic, but the later ones come with more "desirable" features like a self timer and a flash shoe

the lens is really wonderful. killer bokeh and great range of depth of field effects can be obtained. as for sharpness stopped down, i believe the lens on my pearl river tlr (probably made in the same factory as the great wall?) is a lot sharper

the camera has a very unusual shutter/mirror combination. the mirror is actually part of the shutter. the problem arises in cocking the shutter (which flips the mirror up). to select your shutter speed you pull the knob out, rotate it to the speed, and let it drop back down. then you twist the knob to raise the mirror and cock the shutter. if you want to change speeds after you've cocked the shutter, you can't. sounds like maybe not a big deal, but its burned me on many occasions.

the problem is the rest of the camera. it's metal, so its not flimsy enough that if you drop it that it will shatter, but the knobs and buttons on it are really cheap. the shutter button fell off mine, and the cover on the wind knob fell off also

as for loading film, i've not had a problem. apparently there were kits made for these to adapt it to all kinds of film... 35mm, 828 (i think) and a 645 mask. i never see these products anywhere.

i will say that i love it.. but DONT overpay. the prices usually seen on ebay are outrageous

also:
    i dont know where you live, but older chinese people, especially those that lived in china in the 60s, 70s will recognize the camera. i took it to chinatown in san francisco once, not even thinking about it. soooo many people were really happy/enthusiastic to see it!
    Last edited by sfadam; 09-05-2011 at 01:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin