Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,460   Online: 952

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Great Wall 2 1/4 SLR Camera Can you tell me about them?

Hi,
    Any users of the Great Wall 2 1/4 SLR camera? I've read about issues with them not have proper focus at infinity, the focus on the ground glass not matching up with the image that reaches the film and being difficult to load with modern film spools. In spite of all that I'm interested in them. Can anyone address any of these concerns from their experience. Do they work?
    Thank you!
    Robert N.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All I know of them is they are junk.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    All I know of them is they are junk.
    Don't sugar coat it, come on and tell us how you really feel.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My daughter loves shooting these kind of cameras..... with her .223 rifle.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    They are really fun little cameras - the lens has a very interesting quality wide open. Think metal and glass Holga. My Great Wall's shutter had failed, and all exposures were at 1/8 I think.

It would make a very poor primary camera, but for something to play around with, maybe ....
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What Jeff says...Andrew Moxom has a modified Great Wall (not sure how he tinkered with it) but he'd have some insight into first-hand use of this camera.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    look at this:

http://moominsean.blogspot.com/2008/...-not-wall.html

it's a long review which will answer your questions. and it's funny as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    What Jeff says...Andrew Moxom has a modified Great Wall (not sure how he tinkered with it) but he'd have some insight into first-hand use of this camera.
    Andrew mounted it in front of his Hasselblad with focal plane shutter. He's done some great work with it.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Political views and comments on ammunition aside, I'd like to hear from people who have used one of these. I understand that it is not a prime camera for commercial use, but I thought it might be fun if it will actually focus and roll the film through it. Thanks for the link to the review. Love to hear from Andrew.
    thanks folks!
    Last edited by rknewcomb; 08-25-2011 at 04:05 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I read the information on the link provided by xya and found the thread by Andrew where he talks about his adventures with this camera lens and the hasselblad.
    Thanks for the help.
    Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin