Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,327   Online: 874

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What to do with a Polaroid Land 800

I've inherited a few old cameras from my uncle, the most interesting being the Polaroid Land 800 (roll film) camera. I know that the film is no longer produced for it, and that it's possible to convert it to regular rollfilm use, but I'm wondering if it's possible to use it with 4x5 film or paper instead (I know the image size will be smaller than that), as I'm not really keen on spending a lot of money of something that will probably have minimal use.

I'm visiting my parents at the moment, which is why I have the camera, but no film or paper to test it. It seems to me that it could work, but I'd like to know if anyone has tried it, and has any recommendations about holding the film/paper in place, or protecting it from the dimpled back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Polaroid-Land-800--Inside-V.jpg   Polaroid-Land-800-Front-Vie.jpg   Polaroid-Land-800-Upright.jpg   Polaroid-Land-800-Compariso.jpg  
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been shooting 4x5 paper negatives in my 110a, could even shoot 4x5 film in it. Just open the back up and insert the sheet, close it up and shoot what you want. Of course, shooting film requires a blacked out room to load and unload, you can use a safe light for paper.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You can convert these - the difficulty is that when adding a back (Graflok or Polaroid) it usually means the distance to the lens changes, requiring adjustment of infinity stops.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the Autocord is more interesting...

Shooter
    Large Format
    It can be converted, it is either pretty pricey to do so, or hard to do so yourself-and one little slip renders the camera into a useless chunk of plastic and metal.
    I do seem to recall someone making a MF roll film mod for one. Just involved knobs and drilling, not modifying the entire camera.

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    look at this:

http://photo.net/classic-cameras-forum/00MtA1

it's a cheap and easy conversion, there are lots of tips and links. the 800 is quite a good one for this. good luck and please report back if you succeed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Convert to 120.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Xya - thanks for the link, it looks really interesting. I like the idea of shooting panoramic images on rollfilm in that camera, but am still unsure about doing the mod.

I may do what Rick does, try it with paper negatives first, and see how much I like working with the camera before doing anything more to it.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I use my Polaroid Model 800 with paper negatives, and it does real well. I can't recall right now the shutter settings, but I've metered the scene with a handheld and referenced the various speed and aperture combinations of the 800 from its manual to find the right setting. With a 4x5 film box loaded with sheets of paper, you can reload the 800 out in the field using a changing bag. Loads of fun, and keeps the camera in original condition.

~Joe

Still-life of my old Adler typewriter, north light back porch using preflashed grade 2 paper in Polaroid Model 800:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have converted a much more pedestrian, but still roll film old Polaroid J66 to use rolls of bulk loaded 70mm long roll portra 160NC c-41.

The modification was to drill a hole for one stove bolt to pop out the 'top' to serve as a means to wind the take up roll. Take up roll is a 35mm spool with a bit of whittled dowel spliced in the middle. Feed spool is just plian dowel. Black gaffers tape and cinefoil has been used to close off the area where the backing paper once exitted.

With the 70mm film the aspect ratio is closer to 6x9, but on steroids. It must be loaded and unloaded in the darkroom.

I limit my roll length to that equal to 220 film, so as to be able to use a modified paterson reel to develop it in a roll film dayllight tank.
    my real name, imagine that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin