Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,344   Online: 780

Shooter
    Medium Format

Its a long shot but can anyone identify a film from a photo ?

Ok so i follow a number of blogs that are oh so hipster and they post photos like this

And there are several other with the same soft perfectly lit slightly blue but still warm photos.

As much as i LOVE old cameras with normal film giving perfect results im intrigued as to how this is achieved ??

so is this a special film, a special developer or toner, a printing process or is it as simple as a photoshop filter/action ??

any insight would be hugely appreciated

Thanks
    Samuel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well the #1 clue we'd use is the colour neutrality / white balance, but that is something that people tend to change automatically when they scan a neg or slide or print... so this is not easy.

But offhand I'd say this is quite possibly a daylight-balanced slide film. Notice how the areas illuminated by the incandescents are warm, whereas the daylight areas look more neutral, and the highlight transitions are quite fast and the shadows quite deep. So I'll say it's some standard slide film.

With a modern color neg film like the fuji 160s you'd not see so much of a warm/could contrast and you'd have probably preserved all the highlights and also more shadow detail.

And yes, there are PS filters, such as the AlienSkin package, that emulate this look. And you can also diddle with a scanner to get this look from neg film. But it's no fun!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    But offhand I'd say this is quite possibly a daylight-balanced slide film. Notice how the areas illuminated by the incandescents are warm, whereas the daylight areas look more neutral, and the highlight transitions are quite fast and the shadows quite deep. So I'll say it's some standard slide film.

With a modern color neg film like the fuji 160s you'd not see so much of a warm/could contrast and you'd have probably preserved all the highlights and also more shadow detail.
    That's a good guess. I'd just like to say that the Lomo crowd doesn't necessarily a) expose their film correctly and b) post-process their scans in photoshop/whatever correctly. Not only do they not do those things all the time, they seem to revel in the imperfections that result. Which complicates things a bit.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was thinking as i looked at it that it reeked of slide film i have expirience with provia/velvia and there is something about it very slidey

thanks so much for your input
    Samuel

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would have said Ektar 100 because of the blue, maybe pushed a little to avoid blur and then adjusted in post digitally. If I had to pick a slide film it would be Elite Chrome 400, but the grain tends to be a bit large in that film. E100G gives that look as well, but not under that lighting.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That looks to me like an R print from older Ektachrome.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Are we certain that this is film?

I downloaded the file and looked at the metadata and there is a IPTC Content, description of "SONY DSC". Could this be a digi shot?

Sorry to speculate, maybe Sony makes scanners and that is how that bit of info got attached to the image?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Could this be a digi shot?
    Yes. Absolutely.

Sorry to speculate, maybe Sony makes scanners and that is how that bit of info got attached to the image?
    I don't think that's it. Not to promote digital or to argue that it is as good as slide, but, again: the Alienskin software will generate a very similar look from a digital file. The software folks cleverly collected the curves from all the popular films and used them to generate PS effects that emulate film responses. Look here. It's all the rage. I have seen shots from cellphones that look like film, so to speak. There are many other software packages that will do similar things.

The reason for the meta data could be that the original source file was digital.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    To keep this from going into one of those analog v digi threads, to the OP, how about you rephrase the original question to something like "I like the look of the below photograph and would like to shoot film to look like the below image, regardless if the below image was shot on film or digital"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    To keep this from going into one of those analog v digi threads, to the OP, how about you rephrase the original question to something like "I like the look of the below photograph and would like to shoot film to look like the below image, regardless if the below image was shot on film or digital"
    ...which is what I answered in my first post

Slide.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin