Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,969   Online: 816

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Holga Vs. Diana

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I bought an old Diana at a thrift store...a lot of fun. I stopped taking photos at "12", thought the film's end leader seemed a bit long, and then was surprised by the small negs. (and the extra unexposed film!) As most of my work is large format, the large amount of distortion, etc of the Diana is perfect for me. The negatives from the later toy cameras are almost too good for me!

A scan of a carbon print:
    120 Tech Pan, Diana Camera
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3BoysNorthJetty.jpg  
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    I would say more like 22/16/11/8 in Diana F+
    Thanks! That's good to know

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I bought an old Diana at a thrift store...a lot of fun. I stopped taking photos at "12", thought the film's end leader seemed a bit long, and then was surprised by the small negs. (and the extra unexposed film!)
    I threw a roll of Fomapan 100 in my Diana F+ yesterday and ran around the yard taking pictures. I was also surprised when there was film left after "12". I took more all the way out to 16.

It turns out there's a sliding window for 12 or 16 (depending on mask usage, I guess) and I had the open window on 12. But I now see the tab needs to be on 12 and the window is open beside the 16 for 6x6.

Things you learn....
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a plastic lensed Holga. I "broke" the lens by hammering on a step up adapter so I can shoot with filters. Well it's not broke, but the lens does come off if you unscrew it too far. And I used a make-shift ground glass to make a new focus scale. The lens is sharp enough for me in the middle, and the edges wonderfully blur out. I think I would prefer a Diana, just because of the F/stops, but since I have the Holga I won't bother.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails small.jpg  

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by giacomo.fiani View Post
    Actually, I've got the same camera, and the 2 f/stops have the same aperture. It's useless to switch from one to another.
    Actually that's been fixed in some of the more recently produced models. I purcahsed the Holga 120TLR this summer, and there are two working apertures -- f/11 and f/13ish.

TBN
    Fredericks Harbour (Frederikshavn), Denmark
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by giacomo.fiani View Post
    Actually, I've got the same camera, and the 2 f/stops have the same aperture. It's useless to switch from one to another.
    On the one I have, the two apertures are working fine.
    There's a switch on the left top of the lens - saying "flash/cloudy ~ sun".
    My guess is, the apertures are f/11 - f/16.
    Last edited by TBN; 09-12-2011 at 02:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Both are good cameras. I use both with 400 speed film in the Diana and 100 speed film in the Holga.

On the Holga, tape down the Bulb/Instant switch or you could get way overexposed pictures.

Jon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wawonawb.jpg   lower-falls-400.jpg   hen600.jpg   bulls.jpg   bikel.jpg  

Last edited by Jon Shiu; 09-12-2011 at 02:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

TBN
    Fredericks Harbour (Frederikshavn), Denmark
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post

On the Holga, tape down the Bulb/Instant switch or you could get way overexposed pictures.

Jon
    Been there - done that !

Those attached shots are really good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post

not understood... (why?)
    Well, I don't know... I removed the mask from the (new, Lomo edition) Diana and I was still getting images smaller than 56x56cm on my negatives. As long as I remember, that is... I'll have to check the negs again, it's a long time. The sure thing is that the "square" mask of Diana F+ does not cover the full "width" of the film.

Shooter
    127 Format
    I read that the original Diana F did have a smaller frame, like 44mmx44mm

The Diana f+ I have is missing its accessory masks/inserts and it does make a full sized square negative (could be 56x56).

I made two mistakes with my first roll through. I used ASA 100 film instead of 400 and only the ones in bright sunlight or with a flash came out at all. Then I had the indicator window set for 16 exposures instead of 12 and everything was overlapped.

If anyone has leftover inserts they don't want I would take them

-Bill

Oh yeah, Jon those are very nice shots you attached above. Very impressive. I really like the one of Yosemite Falls.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, maybe they fixed this issue in TLR model, but I'm sure that on mine (CFN) if you switch from cloudy to sunny, you'll get the very same aperture. I saw this shooting in B mode with no film and the back open. But you know these are particular cameras, maybe it's just a defect of mine, even if I read of other people having the same problem.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin