Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,760   Online: 1103

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holga Vs. Diana

Shooter
    Multi Format

Holga Vs. Diana

Hello,

I am looking into getting either a Holga or a Diana camera that uses 120 film. Which do you guys prefer and why? Also whats the difference between the two?

Shooter
    127 Format
    I just got a Diana F+ -- found at a thrift shop.

I don't know about the Holga, but this Diana has 4 F-stops. Since I didn't get a manual I don't know what those F-stops are but I'm guessing they're about 22/11/5.6/4.0. The lens is plastic. On some Holgas you can get a glass lens.

The shutter speed is fixed at whatever it is - maybe close to 1/80th and it has a "bulb" setting where the shutter stays open as long as you hold it.

This camera has zone focusing and a plug-in flash that sits on top. I believe the Holga has a built-in flash.

Also, the film back on the Diana slides on and locks in place. I think the Holda is held on by sliders on either side. Looking at the Diana it seems less likely to have light leaks around the sides.

One more thing, the Diana has a tripod socket.
    - Bill Lynch

TBN
    Fredericks Harbour (Frederikshavn), Denmark
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Holga 120 CFN - The CFN has a build-in flash, with three color filters to choose from. A tripod socket. 2 F-stops. Bulb setting. Zone focus. 60mm lens - I think mine has a plastic lens.
    As wblynch mentions; the film back is held in place by sliders in boths sides, which you mount your camera strap in. (!) You need to cover the back and film counter window with black tape, to prevent light leaks.

I bought it used, some time ago, and I've only shot two rolls with it so far. It's a fun camera, and I've seen people take some amazing shots with it.
    I've never tried The Diana, but maybe I'll get one for my collection.

Gandolfi (Emil Schildt) sometimes shoots with a Diana.

- Thomas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...the Diana shoots a smallish ~40x40cm frame on medium format film, while the Holga shoots the full 56x56cm frame. This fact alone was enough for me. Tried both cameras (on a paid assignment) and sent the Diana back in the cupboard.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'll check this evening on the negative, but a friend borrowed me a Diana in June it was not 40x40 mm.

An interesting possibility if you like that, with the current version of Diana (see Lomo int.) . is the possibility of doing pinhole. i tested it, it's good. I do not think that possibility exist on the old versions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Diana F+ : you have plastic masks that you can change - 40x40 mm, 56x56 mm and panorama mask. Also there is a pinhole option. I had diana F+ and now I have holga (holgaroid actually) - I don't see much difference in final prints.

Some say that old diana (not F+) was giving dreamy and nice pictures, but I did not try that one (yet ).

regards,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TBN View Post
    I have a Holga 120 CFN - The CFN has a build-in flash, with three color filters to choose from. A tripod socket. 2 F-stops.
    Actually, I've got the same camera, and the 2 f/stops have the same aperture. It's useless to switch from one to another.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    I don't know what those F-stops are but I'm guessing they're about 22/11/5.6/4.0.
    I would say more like 22/16/11/8 in Diana F+

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an old (original) Diana and a new Holga. I like them both. The Diana gets 16 frames of 4x4cm per 120 roll. Vignettes more that the Holga. Has 3 aperture positions. However it has no tripod socket or flash hot shoe. The Holga has both which makes it more useful in certain circumstances.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thicktheo View Post
    ... Tried both cameras (on a paid assignment) and sent the Diana back in the cupboard.

not understood... (why?)

One thing to consider: Never believe the claims, that the diana F+ is the same as the old classic Diana camera. It is not!

I have no proof, but to me the Diana F+ is more like a HOLGA in disguise..

And I once saw an add for HOLGA's

it said:

HOLGA
    son of Diana

I have both the Diana F+ and some of the old ones. I never use the Diana F+ !

I love the way the old Diana "focusses" and distorts the image.

I don't get that feeling on the Diana F+ at all. Just a darker image in the corners and then a slightly unsharp image for the rest....

More like the HOLGA.

I don't have a HOLGA, but I have seen amazingly beautiful images made with this.
    (especially by Wolfgang Moersch - see here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfgan...7625476934888/ )

The new Diana F+ is good as it has the socket for tripod, but that's it for me...

(I customized my old one so it now has it too).

So, It all depends on what images you want.

In any case, it is fun cameras to use.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin