Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,980   Posts: 1,523,791   Online: 1192

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LomoKino

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

LomoKino

Just saw a press release for this 35mm, hand crank movie camera that takes 35mm film.

http://www.petapixel.com/2011/11/03/...ary-35mm-film/

Must resist urge for new toy...

Wouldn't this require slide film, especially if you''re going to use the little projector that is bundled with it to view the movies?

Thoughts? Opinions?
    Last edited by drumlin; 11-03-2011 at 01:39 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: replaced 'video' with 'movie'. Thx AgX

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, the term "video" is typically used in relation with electronic image capture for moviemaking (might it be analogue or digital).

Yes, you would best use reversal ("slide") film. As was done in the heydays of Super8.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Except being a toy or basic camera, interesting are two features:

-) the aspect ratio of 2.8 (though with a standard angle of view)

-) the extremely limited length of film (type 135 cassette)

-) the extremely low frame rate

That camera is less a movie camera than forming a class of its own.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    You have to use Slide Film or cross process negative film or you could use negative film and strike release prints from your negative. Instead of using positive images for your cinematic vision you could also make a negative film
    I usually don't like the lomographic society but this is finally a product I will buy simple love the Idea of making handcranked movies

Dominic
    Last edited by MDR; 11-03-2011 at 12:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wonder how much a hand cranked 35mm camera would cost that took 30m rolls of film with an F-mount or similar - 24 fps, 1000 EURO?

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wonder how much a hand cranked 35mm camera would cost that took 30m rolls of film with an F-mount or similar, 1000 EURO?
    You can get a Konvas motor driven 35mm movie camera for about $300 on ebay.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I am member of a group which intensifies on soviet cameras. they are serious people and lots of konvases trading and they do us senate ads to commercials to movies with these cameras. I didnt handle one but heard they are noisy and terrible for sound recording with them. and looks to me bulky , heavy and ugly but you can expect as same as from a more expensive and quality camera.

The great thing is to able to use soviet cinema lenses . These lenses are made by LOMO and 20 years ago they were making quality cameras lenses as spacecrafr technology. You can pay 400 to LOMO and get better quality than 7000 euro zeiss.
    If you intended to invest 1000 , best bet is LOMO and Konvas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    I usually don't like the lomographic society but this is finally a product I will buy simple love the Idea of making handcranked movies
    My thoughts exactly. Not in the market for a serious movie (not video) camera, but what a great way to do some fun lo-fi clips.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Konvas seems like a great camera but for a little more money say € 1400 you can find (with some luck) an Arri 35 II with a Schneider lens set. By the way I would never buy a Konvas that only costs 300$ as you're likely to have to invest a few 1000 $ for repairs. And Mustafa you're absolutely right when you say that LOMO lenses were good they still are by the way after all the famous Vantage Hawks used for movies like Star Wars Episode one and Das Leben der Anderen are nothing but rehoused and slightly recomputed (some say that even the recalculation was done in Russia) Lomo Anamorphic lenses. This is actually one of the reason why I hate the Lomographic society they use the name of a first class optical company (optically on par with Zeiss not always mechanicaly though) and drag the good name of Lomo trough the mud by selling low tech low quality products that were not even made by LOMO.

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am wondering how it would do with TMax-100 developed in the reversal kit? I'm tempted, but not sure if it would be a waste of money. I do have a Spinner 360, it is a fun camera for parties and such, was surprised that it was fairly well made, not like the Holga junkers. I think I'll wait on this one to see how people react to it before committing myself to another toy.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin