Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,108   Online: 939

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Instant Films

X-mas Gift Help, Vintage Instant Cameras?

Hello,

A friend of mine is a photography enthusiast, and I wanted to get her something fun for X-mas. I was thinking she'd get a kick out of a reasonably priced old/vintage 'instant' camera and enough film to go with it to make it fun for a while.

Unfortunately, my knowledge of photography and cameras are next to nothing, so I have no idea where to begin or what to get. I was hoping some nice enthusiast folks here might have an idea, or at least, be able to point me in the right direction. I have no idea even about the correct lingo or terms to look for, let alone trying to get a camera and film that matches up!

Any assistance to know-nothing like myself would be much appreciated. Thanks,

Andy D

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Fujifilm Instax 210? Between 75-90 dollars, film is still produced, and in my opinion the "look" of the fuji film is actually really nice when utilized in certain lighting situations IE lots of contrast. Were you interested in more of the "vintage" than the "instant" though?

Shooter
    Instant Films
    Well vintage has more of the 'fun' or 'goofy' feel to the gift, you know? I'm not exactly sure what I want, I'm still trying to define what the best gift would be! But I know she'd get a kick out of an old instant camera, snapping photos, etc.

Thanks for your response,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have converted old roll film type Polariods to shoot 70mm portra C-41 film. You get about 70mm x120 or so mm negs, that are great to contact print. No it is not instant, but it is a lot of fun to shoot with these old cameras.

I have the Instax 210, and I echo the contrasty prints statement, but once you know thats how it looks , you choose your subjects accordingly. Do go for the wide instax system; the instax mini prints while cute are really too small to really appreciate their content.
    my real name, imagine that.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Andy,

That all depends for a part where in the world you are situated. I can't remember when I have seen Instax film at offer on the shelves over here. Furthermore the camera isn't vintage at all.

Over here you can get old cameras that used the Polaroid SX-70 or the 600 type of films for a few dollars. And a European company (Impossible) makes films that can be used in these ranges of cameras which is available off the shelves of the better photo-stores.

Furthemore there is a range of Polaroid bellows cameras that take films still made by Fuji.

Maybe another member has got the time make a list of these three ranges of cameras and the appropriate films.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    you could get a lomography diana f+ camera and a polaroid back but itd be pricey. failing that look out for an old polaroid 600 camera. i picked one up for about £7 from a local antique store.

Shooter
    Instant Films
    Hm, thanks for the responses so far. I've no idea where to begin. Ha.

Andy D

xya

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    ... I can't remember when I have seen Instax film at offer on the shelves over here. Furthermore the camera isn't vintage at all...
    ...Furthemore there is a range of Polaroid bellows cameras that take films still made by Fuji. Maybe another member has got the time make a list of these three ranges of cameras and the appropriate films.
    do a search on ebay "instax 210" and you will see all the dealers who have cameras and film. the camera isn't vintage, but the fun of instant photo is.

I would suggest a bellows camera, the best are 100, 250, 350 and 450. check that they have been converted battery-wise. the fuji fp film is nice and easy. it's real vintage peel-apart film, as in the old days. the cameras are automatic, so no problem exposing the film correctly.

Shooter
    Instant Films
    I think my best bet maybe is just a vintage camera from 20/30/40s as a shelf piece. Ha, I don't know if I can track down my whimsy of a gift.

Andy D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would suggest a Polaroid 195. Most people think they are junk and that film is not available.

In most cases they would be right about the "junk" part but the 195 is a full manual camera and Fuji is still making color film for it.

In the old days I would use it in place of a polaroid back since my Mamiya C-220 didn't have that option.

After shooting a few packs through it and having fun your friend might find a creative use for a camera like that.

If you look around you can probably get one for just a few bucks I did see one on fleabay that was going for over 100.00 with a lot of bids. I don't know what it eventually sold for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin