Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,466   Online: 758

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    The Holga/Diana "look" is so easily duplicated in post-processing. Why blow the money?
    If, by post-processing, you're referring to PS, a lot of us don't do that in our work flow.
    Another reason I enjoy shooting Holgas and Dianas is the freedom I get from the lack of controls. It's so different from when I shoot my 4x5, or 8x10. There's nothing "technical" between me and the image in the frame. I have about a dozen Holgas/Dianas. Each has it's own little quirks, which adds to the uncertainty of what will appear on the film/print. I've had mine since the 1970's and 80's, so I don't think I've ever spent more than 5-6 bucks on one, but don't think spending $20-30 on an image making device is blowing money.
    There are some incredible Holga/Diana images in the Gallery. You should take a look before dismissing them.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    What constantly amazes me on this site is the intolerance toward toycamera "Holga & Diana" users. I admit I bought a Holga, Diana+,an original Diana and other assorted Plastic cameras because I like the pictures they give and the freedom from technical details like setting shutter speeds etc I get. People constantly complain on this site about the intolerance of digi user towards film users, but are themselves intolerant towards other subgroups of Filmusers. The Lomographic Society and their prices are way too high and 70$ for a Holgaset is highway robbery but I am all for promoting film.

Dominik
    Look, I like toy/low-fi cameras as a means to an end, not an end in themselves. Lomography is branding, nothing more. Did Nikon or Canon ever pitch their own film brands as uniquely suited to their cameras? I just bought some dollar store Kodak disposable flash cameras for fun--2 bucks each, less than the cost of the 24 exp ISO800 film inside.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not young anymore but I do like to use my Holgas. My Holga photos usually receive more comments than my 'traditional' b&w photos. I'm also going to buy some more Holgas, like the new 6x12 panorama Holga. I don't mind putting down €70 for it. I just wish I'd have an enlarger big enough for 6x12 negs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look, I like toy/low-fi cameras as a means to an end, not an end in themselves.
    All cameras are just a means to an end (the print), so I'm not sure what you mean by your statement.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    All cameras are just a means to an end (the print), so I'm not sure what you mean by your statement.
    "Lomography" is a closed system with supposedly unique "lifestyle" component. Yikes!

Doubtful? Have a look here:

http://canada.shop.lomography.com/about-us

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you had a chance to check out the Lomo store on Queen St W yet CGW ? Appropriate that it's on a stretch of Queen that's just beginning to trendify (to my disappointment). Losing it's 'feel' and becoming like all other touron destinations

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Lomography" is a closed system with supposedly unique "lifestyle" component. Yikes!
    You're referring to the marketing of the cameras, which has nothing to do with making images with them.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    You're referring to the marketing of the cameras, which has nothing to do with making images with them.
    How and to whom are they pitched? Hereabouts, it's pretty obvious that it's more about fashion statement than photography. For you and others here I kinda think it's the photography that matters more, not the lifestyle prop crap.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by canuhead View Post
    Have you had a chance to check out the Lomo store on Queen St W yet CGW ? Appropriate that it's on a stretch of Queen that's just beginning to trendify (to my disappointment). Losing it's 'feel' and becoming like all other touron destinations
    Yup. Enjoyed a great overheard pitch that this stuff (http://www.silvanoimaging.com/LomoFilms.html) was really what worked best in the cameras with a slight hint that other film wouldn't quite do.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    CGW I fully agree with your view of the Lomographic society but one shouldn't always trow the Toy camera movement, that started over 20 years before my compatriots founded their marketing gag, in with the society and it's mindless vision. Holgas acutally came very late to the Lomographic society's attention.

Dominik

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin