Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,996   Online: 670

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think we're in too much disagreement. When I first bought a Diana, they were in Woolworth's for about a dollar. Never heard of Lomo, back then. As for the "lifestyle/fashion" aspect, that can be true of any camera. I've seen Leicas and Rolleiflexes serving as fashion statements... I, too, find the marketing (especially of Lomo film) absurd. But the marketing has nothing to do with what you can accomplish with the cameras. They are merely tools, which can deliver marvelous images. You really should take a look at some of the stuff posted in the Gallery.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I don't think we're in too much disagreement. When I first bought a Diana, they were in Woolworth's for about a dollar. Never heard of Lomo, back then. As for the "lifestyle/fashion" aspect, that can be true of any camera. I've seen Leicas and Rolleiflexes serving as fashion statements... I, too, find the marketing (especially of Lomo film) absurd. But the marketing has nothing to do with what you can accomplish with the cameras. They are merely tools, which can deliver marvelous images. You really should take a look at some of the stuff posted in the Gallery.
    Well-acquainted with the results. Hard core film shooters take 'em for what they are. It's the fashion victim/trendoid/hipster crew that buys them, shoots a few rolls, discovers that film and processing/printing aren't so cheap, bores their friends with small prints, then quits and goes back to their iPhone and Hipstamatic app. The novelty dies quickly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Perhaps we should form a group to help liberate Holgas from the grips of Lomo, I'd be down with that and imo, plastic should be like early Fords, available in whatever colour you want , as long as it's black lol

btw, if you want insane vignetting, get the wide angle attachment=crazy four corners dark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do not own a Holga, but I get similar results with a old Nikon Fm-10, Cokin filters, and PS sometimes. Also I am to old for hip, but my hips do hurt a lot, will that count:^)

David
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    one90guy If you believe that the unsharpness of the Holga and Diana are their only redeeming quality you're very wrong. Their simplicity (of course possible with AE, Brain still has to be used for composition), their super light weight (good for your hip) and their instant special rendering [(no ps monkeying and filter necessary)(not only unsharp, but also unique for each camera)] are the reasons that I use and bought them (not from the Lomographic society though) for around €10 each.

For the record I absolutely dislike the Lomographic society and what it stands for, Toycamera Images require the use of Brain and not Brainlessnes like the society proclaims.

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    ...Toycamera Images require the use of Brain and not Brainlessnes like the society proclaims.
    x1000

so much win in these words

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dominik Not really into soft focus that much, was referring to colored filters with B/W, red, green orange, and yellow with some multicolored for double exposures. As for weight the Fm10 is a light weight, disliked by Nikon purist (not all), lots of plastic and light metal made by Cosin. I neither like nor dislike Holga, I bought my daughter one this summer and seen some of the results. Some which I liked, but I get about the same results with the Nikon. I also use a Argus C-3 for some of the same reasons. this stlye for me is pure fun, and if I get something I like ok then. I just was saying there other ways to get similar results.
    “Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.”
    ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Well-acquainted with the results. Hard core film shooters take 'em for what they are. It's the fashion victim/trendoid/hipster crew that buys them, shoots a few rolls, discovers that film and processing/printing aren't so cheap, bores their friends with small prints, then quits and goes back to their iPhone and Hipstamatic app. The novelty dies quickly.
    I still don't see why what a hipster does with them should have any influence on anyone. I assume most people, here, are concerned with results. You seem to have disdain for the cameras, solely based on how others may view them. Would you also dismiss Leicas because some people use them as "jewelry"?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I don't understand how a simple price alert posting turned into a psychoanalysis of the hipster and his/he affinity towards cameras that some have no regard for. It is like this is a car forum and someone posted that a bunch of Yugo's are avail at some auction then the Ford guys start commenting about how buying a Ford is so much better....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    I don't understand how a simple price alert posting turned into a psychoanalysis of the hipster and his/he affinity towards cameras that some have no regard for.
    Exactly. Well said.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin