Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,051   Online: 1225

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess we can agree to disagree:^) I am glad we have such a wide choice of brands of cameras, the digital camera afforded me some very nice film cameras. I do own digital but have used film since 1968, so its my comfortable camera. Others may know more.

David
    “In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took,
    but how many moments took your breath away.”
    ― Shing Xiong

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got five loaded cameras in my kit for today... I just needed to hear someone bitch about the futility of Holgas to convince me to add mine to the mix.

Thanks.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I find threads such as this one useful, since we are developing a new film product, and it gives us an idea of how well new products might be accepted, and among which groups. A large portion of our "audience" comprises younger people who first started with fun cameras such as Holgas, Dianas etc. They seem to me to be no different than Instamatics and the like from the 1960s, except they are specifically geared toward creative use. I like that sort of marketing, because it brings new people in. Obviously it is working, and I think anybody interested in seeing the industrial mass necessary for film production to be maintained should view it as a positive.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BobCrowley View Post
    I find threads such as this one useful, since we are developing a new film product, and it gives us an idea of how well new products might be accepted, and among which groups. A large portion of our "audience" comprises younger people who first started with fun cameras such as Holgas, Dianas etc. They seem to me to be no different than Instamatics and the like from the 1960s, except they are specifically geared toward creative use. I like that sort of marketing, because it brings new people in. Obviously it is working, and I think anybody interested in seeing the industrial mass necessary for film production to be maintained should view it as a positive.
    Any photographic material that requires lab service is skating on thin ice--that's where the analogies with Instamatics and the film-only world of '60s stall. Not certain many "fun camera" shooters outside of long-time film junkies are exploring home development as an option. Camera shooters just beginning with Holgas, Dianas, or other lo-fi plastics are not consuming huge quantities of film, probably way short of enough to arrest, much less reverse, the trend in film sales.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I might get flamed for this, but throw on a cheap soft filter, or even stretched cello film, and combine with a step down ring to your current setup and bam... lomo. also scrape off some foam from your door seals and you got the same light leaks... haha

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Any photographic material that requires lab service is skating on thin ice--that's where the analogies with Instamatics and the film-only world of '60s stall. Not certain many "fun camera" shooters outside of long-time film junkies are exploring home development as an option. Camera shooters just beginning with Holgas, Dianas, or other lo-fi plastics are not consuming huge quantities of film, probably way short of enough to arrest, much less reverse, the trend in film sales.
    Conversely, one could argue that toy cameras are consuming more 35mm color film, and hence requiring more associated lab services, than any other sector of the amateur market, including legacy camera fondlers.

I don't know if it's the build quality of toy cameras versus legacy cameras (plastic vs. metal), or a generational divide ("them young 'uns"), that gets people's hackles up. Seems kind of hypocritical to be circling the film wagons against the onslaught of digital photography while leaving our plastic-bodied camera fans out in the cold just because they don't pass some arbitrary quality standard.

I like the marketing model of Lomo, especially with the new LomoKino. It's sure to create a bigger demand for color photo processing. And as an aside, I don't see the necessity to use exclusively Lomo-branded film in a Lomo camera. I find the 4-packs of el-cheapo Kodak or Fuji film works fine, and is purchased locally.

Another factlette: I get many digital-camera-captured images printed at local photo lab on RA-4 paper also. So I don't see a direct connection between such labs and the decline of film photography.

As long as outfits like Lomo and Holga and their ilk are manufacturing newly-designed film cameras (which they are), I'm all for them. I sure as hell don't see Canikon, et al, marketing newly-designed, high-build-quality film cameras. Put up or shut up.

~Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I figure someone's buying them, so someone's using them.
    That means more film and processing sales. That's a good thing.
    Some stay with film. That's a good thing.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    Sales="No sales" in retail. They're over-priced hipster bait the hipsters can't afford. Here in Toronto, Holga starter kits go for $70. Who'd buy that when you can get something like Nikon FG+50/1.8E for around the same money?
    You wouldn't. I wouldn't.
    But the FG and 1.8, capable of giving much better pictures, is apparently not what they want, for whatever reason. Maybe it has something to do with cool, retro, low tech, irony, I don't know, but if not Holgas then it's probably iPhones, and that doesn't sell any film.

Myself, I'd think an old Brownie would be cooler, but I guess it wouldn't be giving all those cool effects to the picture. My mom's old Bullseye gave really nice images on 620 film. And come to think of it, it was plastic!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    But the FG and 1.8, capable of giving much better pictures...
    "Better" is subjective.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm new to APUG so forgive my ignorance. Here is my question.
    Why would anyone go on the 'Toy Camera' forum and then put down toy camera users? After all, this is the TOY CAMERA FORUM! For instance, I have not the slightest interest in instant photography. But I would never denigrate anyone wanting to use instant photography to express their vision. A Holga in the right hands (that's not mine) can produce some really interesting work. I've seen photography from all kinds of cameras that I like and from all kinds of cameras I find dull and boring. And I assure all that I am an expert on dull and boring because I have produced enough of it in my own darkroom.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin