Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,320   Online: 887

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post

I guess you find a little honesty embarrassing. Sorry!

As far as I'm concerned it isn't honesty, it's simply a pessimistic glass is half empty hijack of a thread in a forum that you should probably ignore. Stop hijacking the thread, stop worrying about having the last word, and let the thread get back on track.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe Bob can chime in, but I recall reading that Ilford's film sales were up 8% in 2010.

Shooter
    127 Format
    I can see the attraction to buying a brand new camera for medium format film for a reasonable price. I have been tempted many times to buy a Holga, Diana or Blackbird Fly when I see them on a shelf or display case. I did find a Diana F+ with flash at a goodwill and enjoy using it.

People with no background in film photography can buy something brand new and don't have to be confused or intimidated by figuring out all the insanities of putting together a MF "kit" of 30 year old junk.

I am happy to see these sales at Freestyle and hope they sell out.

I am also happy to see people having fun taking pictures on film.

But alas, there are people with sad lives who can not stand others having enjoyment. There are fuddy-duddies in my town that hate skateboarders.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I still don't see why what a hipster does with them should have any influence on anyone. I assume most people, here, are concerned with results. You seem to have disdain for the cameras, solely based on how others may view them. Would you also dismiss Leicas because some people use them as "jewelry"?
    Sure, why not. Actually, IMHO, the problem becomes when an item becomes more about the fashion and culture around it than the item itself. And nobody can really say that something doesn't have its own culture-be it leica, holga, or even graflex or hasselblad.
    I still drool over the M6, which is IMO the best camera leica made. I wouldn't own one, mainly given the price of them.
    Which brings me into next point-sure, these toy cameras are a bit pricey, even on sale. Still, one or two rolls of images I am pleased with from $30 of camera stuff is generally pretty good bang for my buck.
    They have a dirt cheap stereo camera holga there. And it's about $30. And if you want to try stereo, isn't something like this the ideal way to?
    Sure, I can get soft focus by just not focusing my camera properly, and I can just set the shutter and aperture to one point and leave it to have the same effect as a holga.
    Gotta thank OP for showing this. I probably won't buy one, as the last thing I need is another camera floating around.
    I think most people simply have an issue with the type of person these get marketed to the hipsters who do crazily stupid things and live in new York and try to be hip, despite the fact they live on trust funds as their liberal arts degree from bard or wherever has yet to land them anything resembling a job, so instead, they buy hip products, be it a camera or a fixie and brag about it to their friends and online.
    That doesn't mean all holga owners are hipsters-it just means that hipsters likely buy holgas.
    Still, in the end, those cameras would be fun, and at their current price, good value.
    Even if you don't get much useable stuff from it, you will still likely have fun, and at $30 you can have easily an hour of fun for only $0.50 a minute
    Last edited by Discoman; 12-11-2011 at 07:58 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: accidentally pressed post too early

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    I can see the attraction to buying a brand new camera for medium format film for a reasonable price. I have been tempted many times to buy a Holga, Diana or Blackbird Fly when I see them on a shelf or display case. I did find a Diana F+ with flash at a goodwill and enjoy using it.

People with no background in film photography can buy something brand new and don't have to be confused or intimidated by figuring out all the insanities of putting together a MF "kit" of 30 year old junk.

I am happy to see these sales at Freestyle and hope they sell out.

I am also happy to see people having fun taking pictures on film.

But alas, there are people with sad lives who can not stand others having enjoyment. There are fuddy-duddies in my town that hate skateboarders.
    +1
    Good point.

Also, it isn't just Diana's that show up at thrift stores-those old Kodak box ones do as well, and they are just as fun.

Wasn't the blackbird 35mm though? Those look really fun as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So much of the angst in this thread probably results from the fact that we see all this effort and money put into designing and packaging and promoting the Holga/Lomo toy cameras, whereas almost none of that effort and money is put into and designing and promoting new film cameras (and with respect to promotion) and film with greater technical capabilities.

It would be really nice if a new Canon/Nikon/Olympus/Minolta 35mm camera with some capacity for control was suddenly hip.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What they have never mentioned is that he tlr viewfinder is round, not square. About ten years ago, holgas were half the price.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    So much of the angst in this thread probably results from the fact that we see all this effort and money put into designing and packaging and promoting the Holga/Lomo toy cameras, whereas almost none of that effort and money is put into and designing and promoting new film cameras (and with respect to promotion) and film with greater technical capabilities.

It would be really nice if a new Canon/Nikon/Olympus/Minolta 35mm camera with some capacity for control was suddenly hip.
    For example, have you seen the new lomokino?
    Nearly $100 for the kit, and it chews through 35mm spools-and is for movies.
    Or, for about $5, you can get a silent super 8 camera, and then go and buy a cartridge of brand new super-8 movie stock. Even professional grade films are available in super 8.
    These ca,meras get more people shooting film, but they also get people who don't want the greater control of a slightly nicer camera, despite anything a holga can do, a Pentax can do. Soft focus? Guess the focus. Single aperture and shutter combination? Set the shuttefgv and aperture and never touch it again.
    Maybe the effort is going into the toy cameras because so few places still make a film camera? There are still small specialty companies that build cameras in nearly all format, but the major players have mostly moved to and are touting digital.
    As irritating as lomography can be, they still at least are hanging in there.
    So why can't all of us at least acknowledge that fact? You don't need to like them, just recognize that they are one of the few places with new film cameras.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Before I go for one of those $25 specials, does anyone here have experience with the Glass Lens Holga? If I am to get one, I prefer the best image quality attainable. (Perhaps that is against the Holga philosophy?)

For disclosure, I have only shot one roll through my Diana and I used ISO 100 film instead of the recommended ISO 400. My results were largely, fail. I also have a 1951 Kodak Brownie Hawkeye Flash that I like a lot. It has only one aperture (f11?) and fixed focus but it does have a glass lens.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    My Holgas were all to good. So I baked them in the oven a little...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin