Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,320   Posts: 1,536,854   Online: 1149

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Before I go for one of those $25 specials, does anyone here have experience with the Glass Lens Holga? If I am to get one, I prefer the best image quality attainable. (Perhaps that is against the Holga philosophy?)
    Yes, I'd say that if you want control and better image quality, then don't bother with a toy camera. If you have a lot of experience with "serious" cameras, and you want to free up your vision a bit by letting chance intrude into the process and letting go, then a toy camera might be for you.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Just a clarification here.

Debating the advantages and disadvantages of the lomo movement, toy cameras, etc in regard to analog photography is a perfectly valid topic in a thread started and titled in that regard. It's probably something for the ethics and philosophy forum. We are, however, done with it here.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That's really cool they lowered the price back to where it's reasonable again. I first shot 120 on a Holga and it was indeed a gateway drug. In fact, they're really fun to use mainly because you dont have to think about anything other than composition.

At those prices, I might buy one or two to convert to a wet plate camera--the new ones have bulb setting--and you hack the back to hold a 6x6 mini plate. Just watched a demo of this over at BS and it was really enticing.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    127 Format
    I have ben so inspired by this thread I loaded a fresh roll of 120 into my Diana F+ last night. It's only black and white so I will miss out on some of the color distortion toy cameras are known for. But still I anticipate having a bit of fun and getting some surprises as well.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    When someone bad mouths a Holga, I just remind myself, that is their opinion - and we all know about opinions.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Considering the time of year, it almost seems like the perfect time to buy a holga as a gift. Clever, especially as you will want film and other bits for the camera, they should see some sale increases from this.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the update, I'm going to get a holga for my wife for christmas.

As for the secondary subject in this thread.. I love shooting my holga and Diana F, I like the freedom and the look I get. I also shoot 4x5, 5x7 and a Pentax 67 but I admit I have lots of fun shooting with the toy cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use E-6 100 film and shoot in full sun and x-proc the s@#$ out of it - I heart the look. I want to photograph at all times of the day under every condition, not always run into shade or wait for the golden hour, or blue hour, or hoping for an overcast day with three three stop filters screwed on hoping nothing falls apart. Holga is in my camera bag and has become my most used 6x6 camera, what can I say. I also shoot MF, 35mm film, digital point+shoot, and the camera always with me - my iPhone, Camera+ rocks. Use what you have. I can't recommend Holga enough.

PS - Freestyle is the hipster supplier of Holgas for Urban Outfitters, tres elegant.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    That's really cool they lowered the price back to where it's reasonable again. I first shot 120 on a Holga and it was indeed a gateway drug. In fact, they're really fun to use mainly because you dont have to think about anything other than composition.

At those prices, I might buy one or two to convert to a wet plate camera--the new ones have bulb setting--and you hack the back to hold a 6x6 mini plate. Just watched a demo of this over at BS and it was really enticing.
    What demo is this?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I couldn't disagree more about them being mere novelty cameras. Buying a Holga 120N a couple of years ago reinvigorated my love for film photography generally, and led to me buying a Bronica SQ several months ago. I'm sure some people will try out a toy camera and quickly lose interest, but for others like me, they're an easy introduction to an unfamiliar film format that ignites a fire.

And, as others have mentioned, many people really like the images I've shot on that cheap piece of plastic.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin