Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,933   Posts: 1,522,242   Online: 1025

Shooter
    35mm

Recycling 35mm film canisters (the metal film cans)

Anyone know where I can send these to be recycled? I'd hate to have a whole bunch thrown out and would rather see them being recycled.
    Does Ilford take canisters back? I wouldn't mind shipping them over there if it means that these canisters don't go into the trash (if they can avoid it!)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dugrant153 View Post
    Anyone know where I can send these to be recycled? I'd hate to have a whole bunch thrown out and would rather see them being recycled.
    Does Ilford take canisters back? I wouldn't mind shipping them over there if it means that these canisters don't go into the trash (if they can avoid it!)
    Auction them on ebay.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take them to your local scrap metal collector. Though I don't think he will be pleased by it: high volume, few metal and even that plastic core.
    There is no interest in the photo industry itself for these cartridges.

By the way, cannister is term we use for the cylindrical package of the cartrige, by now made from plastic.

The only recycling use in your sense would be someone who uses these for bulk loading.
    Last edited by AgX; 04-21-2014 at 03:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You guys don't have kerbside collection of recyclables in Canadia like we do?
    I just take the plastic spindle out of the middle and put it in the milk-bottle with all the other small plastic lids.
    The metal bit with the two ends (canister, cartridge, whatever) just goes in with all the metal recycling, sometimes I put them all in a tin can (like from soup or baked beans) along with beerbottle lids and other small bits of metal so they don't get lost on the way...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    make keyrings to give away to friends and family.....

Shooter
    35mm
    Send them to me. I reload them if there is enough film sticking out. I only need 3/8 inch or so. I reload them with all sort of old bizarre emulsions for experiments!

sent from phone. excuse my typing.
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dugrant153 View Post
    Are you talking about the film cartridge itself, or the old style metal canisters the film cartridges came in?
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

You guys don't have kerbside collection of recyclables in Canadia like we do?
    In Coquitlam we used to, but the municipality got rid of it a few years ago. I loved it when we had it! The stuff you could find!

Shooter
    35mm
    Not my website, but this image describes what I'm trying to recycle:

So it's not the plastic film containers but the canisters themselves where you load your film and take your film out off. I used to tear open the canister from the top and/or bottom to get to the film but now with my "film tongue" device I usually pull the film out and leave the canister intact... but just lately.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 35mm-film-canisters.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I put them in the recycling bin with the tin cans.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin