Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,017   Online: 671

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Guys,
    The Banana is coming to Vancouver on the weekend of march 2nd. I am going to try and set something up for the 2nd. Currently my thoughts are mostly photo related. We can do some night or street shots if the weather permits. If by some odd circumstance it should rain we could convene in a pub or café and practice our available light/low light environmental photography. I'm open to ideas or suggestions. I don't know the city well, but I'm thinking that Granville and Broadway might be a good starting point.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If there are any plans to visit Victoria, please keep me informed.
    Follow the Light John 8:12
    ~~~PhotoBob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'll be in Victoria on March 3rd, but I won't know if I'll have time to do some shooting until closer to the date. If so, it will be late afternoon or evening. BWKate might also be interested in doing some shooting?

March 2nd in Vancouver sounds like a blast. After the weather we've had here lately, even rain will seem like a day off!
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm trying to arrange to come over on March 2nd to Vancouver, stay overnight at a friend of mine that lives near Granville and 16th, and then take a bus back to the ferry and back home. Last year I came over to Vancouver for the day several times when I was getting my Chinese Visa from the Chinese Visa office on Broadway. It's no problem for me to just hop on buses,etc. I do it all the time. Besides a car on the ferry is pricey.
    Anyways I'm planning on coming over on the 2nd which is a Friday and returning on the Saturday.

Shooter
    35mm
    You will be salivating once you're in Victoria - Chinatown is a good place to get shots...walk along the boardwalk...take one of those small little boats around the harbour - I got a lot of shots that way.

The beauty of this neck of the woods is that if you want snow right now, head to Whistler. Go to Grouse Mountain to get your postcard-type shots. I got some cool (well hopefully...they're still in the camera!) shots of the BC Place dome deflated...

John

Shooter
    35mm
    Chinatown in Vancouver is a great place for street photography, so are the Commercial Drive area, Robson & Thurlow intersection, Gastown, etc...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    noted... If some one who knows Van (I don't) wants to organize this please step up. Otherwise I'll try to figure someting out in the next couple days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One location that might work as a meeting place would be the market at the New Westminster Quay. It is reasonably central and has good access to public transit (Skytrain) and decent (pay) parking.

There is a pub there (although certainly not a memorable one) and the river front isn't bad for photographic opportunities.

The old part of town is interesting, but I'm not sure I would want to do a lot of photography there.

I'd volunteer to organize, but I'm just swamped at the office....

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's been a few years since I've been downtown, but Gastown might be a possiblity, or Granville Island, or maybe even goold old Stanley Park. As far as a meeting place, there's this possibility:

http://www.sylviahotel.com/map.htm

J
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm having some problems getting those two days off as they are the only days I am being scheduled for. I might have to wait a week or two longer. My place to stay is confirmed but work is a problem.

The Sylvia Hotel is a great place. Granville Island is also a great place and that's where my old alma mater, Emily Carr College, is located. There is a photo exhibit at the Vancouver Art Gallery of an old friend of mine, a fellow named Fred Hertzog that I want to check out some time.

Close to the the Westminster Quay is a photography gallery called Presentation House. I wonder what is showing there right now?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin