Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,932   Posts: 1,585,461   Online: 1033

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Vancouver Camera Show and Swap Meet - April 20, 2008

I meant to post this earlier, but ...

The annual Vancouver Camera Show and Swap Meet is scheduled for this Sunday, April 20, 2008 in it's usual location at the Cameron Recreation Centre on Cameron Street in Burnaby (near the Lougheed mall).

I've no connection with the show, and it can be a bit hit and miss as far as what's available, but find it to be at least entertaining.

I'll probably be there in the latter part of the morning.

Here is a link with more info:

http://whistlerinns.com/camerashow/

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I went to the show yesterday, and I must say I was impressed.

There were a lot of tables, and a large number of people paying at least $5.00 to attend.

The attendees seemed to include a significant number of young people - I enjoyed watching a young man who was either in his late teens or very early 20s negotiate a purchase of a Minolta Autocord, apparently his first purchase of a 120/roll film camera.

There was very little digital, it was almost all film.

Unfortunately, there wasn't much darkroom stuff, or much LF.

There was some MF, but there were more Kodak 616 and 620 folders, than 120 folders (which I would have been interested in finding).

There was almost no film, which I thought was a big mistake, and also no current chemistry or paper for darkroom purposes.

I got to look at a Plaubel Makina 67, and a Rollieflex 3003, which I haven't seen in the flesh for a very long time.

There was a lot of 35mm equipment, including some good prices on Olympus OM cameras, and a lot of Nikon. There was lots more (including two Retina IIIc's at about $225.00 each).

The only 4x5 enlarger I saw was an Omega D series enlarger, which had clearly seen lots of use, and was priced at $200.00.

If you needed filters, or old cases, there was lots of selection.

I enjoyed myself.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Too bad there was no film. I had to work so couldn't jump on the ferry and come over. Another time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

photo show

Oh great I just read this post on the 21st. I went out a few yrs ago and got a good deal on a lens for my Canon 35mm. I'll try to be more observant of local happenings

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Vancouver Show

Oh hi again Matt you emailed me about film in Vancouver. I just mail order my stuff now. It takes 3 wks for delivery but I just have to get my stock up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Matt. I wasn't up for attending, as I'd just returned from a lengthy (i.e. expensive) trip in S. Asia. I usually drop in to this swap meet, to see if there's any valuable (to me at least) little nuggets sitting around. These sales certainly aren't as busy as they were some years ago, and being Vancouver, I find that the prices are usually just too high, or not very negotiable. That being said, I have picked-up some great deals, it's just that they're far and few between.

Last fall, there was a camera swap/sale at the Croatian Cultural Centre. It was a pretty small affair, but I managed to pick-up a very minty Ries tripod with a Junior two way head, and Ries carrying bag. You know, like everyone else, I've seen these tripods advertised forever in mags such as View Camera. Never having seen one before in the flesh, I was really impressed by the extremely high build quality of this product.The seller also had a beautiful Wisner 4x5 wood-field camera. If I had the cash, I would of picked that up too. It's soooo light, compared to my Linhof Tech.

The next swap meet "show" at the Cameron site won't be until the fall. Maybe we'll see each other there, and any other Ape-Huggers who happen along.
    "If I'm a rebel sanctioned by society, encouraged by my parents, and cheered on by Hallmark, what is left to rebel against?"
    Hal Niedzviecki

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin