Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,518   Online: 1026

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooting at Night in Vancouver

Hello!
    I'm off to Vancouver again for business, and I hope to get some time to do some shooting.

I'm looking to do some night shots. Can anyone suggest where I can get some spectacular views?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If he is out on parole, contact John Callow (jdcallow).
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shelley,
    What is it that you have in mind? There are vistas that reach across the water (false creek especially), but mostly Vancouver is like any other city on the water. It does have wonderful predawn and early evening light and the city as a whole is very attractive. let me know where your interests lay.
    Last edited by jd callow; 02-04-2009 at 01:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've only been there once, and didn't get that much time to do any real shooting, but I would suggest the following.

It's an interesting city, and it has a character all its own. The junkies play all day and night if you are into street photography, and the homeless seem to all take part in a wide-scale recycling operation every evening.

I got a few interesting shots down on Granville, near Tom Lee a few years ago. Not exactly "spectacular views", but some very gritty atmosphere. I would think you could get some nice shots of Lions Gate and the industrial landscape on the far side there. The area around Stanley Park and Robson street would be interesting as well. There are some nice cityscapes there with all the new condos etc. that would look quite nice reflected in the evening waters across Coal Harbour. Granville Island was quite a treat when I was there, but I don't know what it's like in the evenings.

Bear in mind that it's winter, which is not the best time to be getting the flavour of the city. You won't be dealing with Ontario's snow at any rate. Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
    I took a wrong turn onto East Hastings the last time I was there, so I think I'll pass on the "street photography" for now. It was quite a shock.
    JD.. I was staying near that Waterfront complex (Off West Hastings) the last time I was there, so I got some shots from the tower, so I'm looking for something else.

Let me think about it a bit more and pm you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good Enough let me know and I'll see if i can't find some locations for you. I've been spending my mornings shooting street scenes at dawn it has been very good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take the sea bus across to Londsdale Quay is nice lookin back to Vancouver @ night

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It's been a very long time, but I believe the happening downtown area is called Gastown or something.
    Nikon FM2n (20/3.5, 28/3.5, 50/1.8, 55/3.5, 135/2.8), Pentax 645n (55/2.8), 3rd Eye Cameraworks 6x18 (on its way)

http://kthompson.jalbum.net/KurtThompson/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yup, Gastown. Named after Gassy Jack. His statue is @ the east side of Gas Town.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's an interesting city, and it has a character all its own. The junkies play all day and night if you are into street photography, and the homeless seem to all take part in a wide-scale recycling operation every evening.
    Quite true indeed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin