Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,425   Online: 793

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Check with Lens and shutter or Kerrisdale Camera. I always purchase dark room stuff, b/w chemical, paper and film. One more is Beau Photo close to downtown.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always liked Lens and Shutter on Broadway when I was living in Vancouver. You can even visit a used camera store to save some money.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I've tried a few of the local places but am having trouble with finding a good changing bag locally. Chemicals seem to still be available plenty!

Will definitely check out all the options as there's so many to choose from!

Btw, if I put enough towels underneath my bathroom door to block out the light, I don't need a changing bag and can turn on the lights once the film is in the developing tank... is that right? sorry! I know it's a newb question

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Btw, if I put enough towels underneath my bathroom door to block out the light, I don't need a changing bag and can turn on the lights once the film is in the developing tank... is that right? sorry! I know it's a newb question
    Yes, once the film is in the tank, with the lid secured, the lights can go on.

You can block the light under the door with towels or whatever might be handy. The darker the better. Also pay attention to the other three edges. If you're looking to use the bathroom for loading/developing regularly, putting weatherstripping around the door, and a door sweep on the bottom should take care of the light, without the hassle of towels or permanent changes. One way to test is spend 5 - 10 minutes in the room with the lights off, and see if you can then detect any light coming in. If you can't, you're set. You can get away with small leaks, but there isn't any easy way to describe what might or might not be a problem.
    Another test, after 5 or 10 minutes, you should not be able to see your hand in front of your face, for example, if you can, something is leaking too much light.

If possible it helps to have any lights off in the space outside the door. Some darkrooms can only be used at night.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Kerrisdale Camera carry changing bag in stock. I saw at Richmond store. Visit any store and ask, they will ship to any store you want within 2 days.

Shooter
    35mm

Lovin' the Loonie Store

Just an update. I haven't bought the chemicals just yet as I have to budget for it and find what I'm looking for (I shoot Delta 400 and Delta 3200, but mostly the Delta 400 pushed to 1600).

In the meantime, I've purchased measuring cups (2 x smaller increment (200ml) cups and 1 x larger (800ml) pouring cup) and some funnels. that's about it. I'm not even sure if I need the funnels if I'm using the Patterson 4 developing tank!

Anyways, more to come if I can find more bargains. Lovin' the Loonie store!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like you found the local sources.
    Another inexpensive source of beakers, funnels is Ikea - their plastic measuring stuff, funnels, and brushes (for cleaning out long thin containers) are only a few $ and work great.

Ditto on the info about using USPS mail for getting stuff from Freestyle. Freestyle is great and I use mail all the time when I can't find it locally - Canada Post only charges $5 or $8 to do the brokerage (unlike the big brown guys - I once was charged $40 brokerage for a $20 book because the sender shipped the wrong way!!! #$**GRR.... will never ship by UPS if I don't have to)

A couple of other Canadian suppliers are BigCameraWorkshops in Ont, and locally (to me) TheCameraStore run by a great bunch of guys who still stock quite a bit of analog in Calgary and ship mail order.

Martin

Does anyone know of a good place to buy and buildup a B&W developing kit? I'm looking to use all the Ilford stuff (since I shoot Ilford B&W films) but don't want to get hosed on prices.

Have considered online but I'd like to support local businesses... if they stock them!

Specifically, I'm looking for beakers, storage bottles, funnels, the squeegee, film cap remover, leader retriever... etc etc. I already have a Patterson 4 developing tank. Just need the rest

The Loonie store is a great place, eh? Storage bottles? Empty 500ml bottled water bottles work well. Forget the squeegee and the film cap remover and extractor. Just use a a bottle opener to pop open the canister. I know Kerrisdale Camera in Coquitlam Centre has chemistry. They don't keep it on the floor so you have to ask for it. I think they still have some b/w film, but I only recall seeing HP5. I prefer making the trek down to Beau Photo. I mix up my own developers (pyrocat-hd), fix as it's way cheaper than buying it made.

andrew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ditto on the Freestyle shipping: 5 working days. I got the last one in 4...
    And like the above statement Looni stores or our favorite "Canadian Tire" where I purchased a small 5L gas can for ID-11 or Xtol and then separate into a 1 liter as I use it up. And those old "Church Keys" are not being used for ANYTHING these days except opening film.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had good service from Beau and Lens and Shutter - by mail usually, as I seldom make the trek to Vancouver. Ditto the avoiding UPS. My husband recieved a parcel today from England and had to pay $40 to UPS for it. We thought you only had to worry about UPS robbery on parcels from the States.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin