Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,546   Online: 1078

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    Will definitely skip UPS or other "extra charge" services. Canada Post has been spectacular for me... so far.

Ah, church keys is not a bad idea! Although I may purchase my own little "can opener" to get that top off of 35mm ilford film. Can you just use your hand though? Maybe my technique stinks but I can't get that lid off without significant effort! (PS: Any place that recycles these canisters??)

Update: picked up developer, fixer, stop bath... now I think I need... thermometor, timer... wetting agent? Do I need that?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Try my friends at Photo Central (note: I am not financially or otherwise connected, just a customer) out of Winnipeg. Better shipping and good customer service

http://photocentralcamera.com/products.html?catalog[decision_model_guids][0]=7c2c949b-33b8-4a2f-b720-00bb14e156bf
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes you need wetting agent, unless you like spots on your negs.
    Spend money on a good thermometer - when I bought an enlarger in the 90's and was working in a darkroom/storage closet, I used a cheap thermometer meant for fishtanks. Took me awhile to figure out that my very thin negs were due to underdevelopment because the thermometer was off.
    A watch/clock/iphone can be used for a timer, if you're looking to save a couple of $$ right now. (I love my Gralabs - picked up an unused 2nd hand one for $10 last summer.)

Shooter
    35mm
    Yay! So I just finished developing one roll of 135 and one roll of 120 film. Lots of fun
    Appreciate all the advise and tips as it helped me in my shopping

Passed on the squeegee and just used my fingers

Didn't get a setting agent but I think I should soon. No visible spots yet but we shall see!

Love this community

Side question: what's "okay" to dump down the sink? I will reuse the fixed and stop bath (have enough for years) but eventually I have to dispose of them. Suggestions?

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is great fun isn't it?

Your fingers pose the same potential to damage as a squeegee. A little speck of something can be carried down the film, scratching as it goes, through frame after frame after frame. Most of the time you can get away with it, but the one time you've got terrific, un-repeatable, very precious negs - that'll be the time there turns out to be a tiny little piece of grit that wrecks your negatives. Photo-flo (or other brand) is cheap. It goes a long way. (I think I'm on my second bottle this century, and I entered it with a bottle less than half full.) Dunk your negatives in the photo-flo, hang and let them drip dry. Squeegees or fingers aren't going to speed the process anyway.

I dump everything down the sink except the fix. (And selinuim and dichromates, but you'll not have got to those yet ) A silver magnet is on my wish list for Christmas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What Sly said. Use Photoflo or an equivalent; they are cheap.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You can also get some stuff at Leo's on Granville, downtown. The only problem with ordering in from Beau is a sometimes very lengthy wait. If you need stuff sooner, besides Freestyle, B&H has improved their chemical and film/paper selection and has cheap Canada shipping. I get stuff shipped from Freestyle, especially the dangerous goods stuff that can't cross the border, sent to a parcel receiving place down in Point Roberts or Blaine and it's a quick hop across the border with very cheap shipping within US.

If you aren't looking at getting a silver magnet for yourself, you can take used fix to Langara College's photo department and they will dispose of it for you. Also a good place for courses in the night program by the way.

Shooter
    35mm
    I will definitely have to check out Langara sometime. I've been interested to see what classes they offer. Time time time!

I haven't used the wetting agent just yet but can see why it would be very very useful. My negs come out a little "sticky" and... perhaps that's why the photoflo is needed?

Love being able to do my own developing though It's fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want to know more about Langara's photo program, feel free to get in touch with me. I've been involved with the part-time studies, as an instructor, for a number of years. (darkroom, & meter/film calibration)

Happy holidays!
    Paddy
    "If I'm a rebel sanctioned by society, encouraged by my parents, and cheered on by Hallmark, what is left to rebel against?"
    Hal Niedzviecki

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin