Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,663   Online: 1132

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Ilford b&w developing and accessories?

Hey everyone,

Does anyone know of a good place to buy and buildup a B&W developing kit? I'm looking to use all the Ilford stuff (since I shoot Ilford B&W films) but don't want to get hosed on prices.

Have considered online but I'd like to support local businesses... if they stock them!

Specifically, I'm looking for beakers, storage bottles, funnels, the squeegee, film cap remover, leader retriever... etc etc. I already have a Patterson 4 developing tank. Just need the rest

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You can save a few quid (bucks) by leaving the squeegee. Put the money towards a bottle of photo-flo or Ilfotol instead.

Storage bottles, if you want glass, can often be obtained from a dispensing chemist at quite reasonable prices. For plastic, I use coke bottles along with one simple rule - Never take drinks in to the darkroom. Wouldn't want to take a swig of fixer in place of coke/beer/wine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Beakers and bottles most photo supply places will sell. As mentioned above do NOT get the squeegee/film-ruiner. The film cap remover, use a beer cap remover. Film leader retriever, why? If you remove the cap you don't need to retrieve the leader.

Ilfotec DD-X is a good liquid developer to start with, ilford indicator stop bath and ilford rapid fixer plus ilfotol. Sorry, not sure about Vancouver shops as haven't lived there for 20 years. Henrys.ca does mail order though.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe check out KEH or B&H?

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go to http://www.freestylephoto.biz/index.php

They are an APUG sponsor and they deserve our support. I have used them both in person and on the internet and they have earned our business!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Freestyle is good but the shipping to Canada is dear and some stuff can't be shipped due to hazmat regs. Slow shipping to Ontario as well but might not be too bad to Vancouver.

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    Freestyle is good but the shipping to Canada is dear and some stuff can't be shipped due to hazmat regs. Slow shipping to Ontario as well but might not be too bad to Vancouver.
    Good point. I love going to Canada, but I have learned that shipping items there can be expensive especially when UPS [? or was it FedEx] collects unnecessary customs fees.

Contact your countrymen/countrywomen in APUG like Eric Rose, Matt King [aka mattking] for guidance on this.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm

darkroom purchases

check craigslist many people are getting a digital slr that had darkrooms. Some stuff is almost unused and you can get everything from 100-300 dollars.I`m talking beseler or omega with gralab timers and stainless tanks etc.one in my town (portland) had a ton of paper and chemicals

be sure to do the usual check out of course...dried bellows and mold etc.

otherwise I use B&H online ordering is fast and prices good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Storage bottles, use generic type 2 liter soda bottles, Safeway, Superstore, Shoppers drug mart, etc you want the straight sided ones. Also 500ml water bottles, same suppliers. Distilled water, Shoppers when it is on sale at $1 for 3.78 liters

If you can't locally source chemicals, www.photocentral.ca here in Winnipeg, they do ship. Funnels and beakers(read plastic measuring cups), try Dollarama in the kitchen aisle.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Good point. I love going to Canada, but I have learned that shipping items there can be expensive especially when UPS [? or was it FedEx] collects unnecessary customs fees.

Contact your countrymen/countrywomen in APUG like Eric Rose, Matt King [aka mattking] for guidance on this.

Steve
    Never use UPS if you can help it unless you can get one of the international expedited rates that include brokerage. Otherwise they change a rediculous brokerage fee, often more than the entire cost of the item and shipping.

Freestyle does offer US Postal Service shipping. It is a bit cheaper than UPS and much safer for brokerage fees.

B&H has a ground shipping option with included taxes and fees. It is convenient for me here in Ontario, just 2-3 days ground shipping from NY. Might not be so good for Vancouver.

Henrys offers Expresspost shipping. There must still be a decent photo store in Vancouver, hopefully one of the local members will chime in.

Happiness is...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin