Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,380   Online: 832

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

John Sexton's "Expressive Black and White Print" Workshop

Since you were interested in my plans for that workshop, and you helped select my prints for the review, at our last get-together, I thought I would share back my experiences from attending it, as it was all pretty amazing... It took me a while, but I put together an article about it on my blog:

http://rafal.net/2012/02/the-express...y-john-sexton/

Happy reading, and see you soon.

Rafal
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Rafal had a read of the blog, thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well done Rafal, looking forward to hearing lots more at our next meeting.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, Peter and Eddie. I hope to be able to put some of the lessons to practice in time for the meet-up. In the meantime, I have been focussing on finishing, mat cutting etc—now that I have seen it is possible, I am on a mission for zero overcuts when cutting bevels. See you soon!
    Rafal Lukawiecki

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rafal,
    Thoughtful writeup that I enjoyed reading.
    You have a knack for writing.

Could you share any tips on eliminating the dimples/bulging in fibre paper that you mentioned in the article?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bruce, thanks for your kind words—it is nice to hear that you liked the writing, that makes me want to do it more often.

As for the "edge-long dimple", I have just posted a full recipe how to avoid the problem as post #29 on my original APUG thread. You can find that post here: http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=1308551

Please let me know if that works for you, I am curious.

Rafal
    Last edited by Rafal Lukawiecki; 02-26-2012 at 04:33 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added reference to the APUG post that contains the solution to the issue being discussed.
    Rafal Lukawiecki

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As for the "edge-long dimple", I have just posted a full recipe how to avoid the problem as post #29 on my original APUG thread.

Rafal, what is an "edge-long dimple"? I dry mount MGIV FB double-weight paper in large sizes (11"x14" and 16"x20") and I don't see a problem, but I may not know what I'm looking for/at!
    Bob Walberg

The fix is in!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can only describe it as a very gentle, edge-long dimple parallel to all four edges of the print, less than 1 cm (1/4") from the edge. I can only see it when looking at the print at an angle at which I can see a light reflection along the edge, otherwise it is not visible at all. If you have a look at this thread, http://www.apug.org/forums/forum46/8...-mounting.html, there is a photo of the issue attached to post #4. If you have never experienced it with this paper, I am pleasantly jealous.

Rafal
    Rafal Lukawiecki

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafal Lukawiecki View Post
    I can only describe it as a very gentle, edge-long dimple parallel to all four edges of the print, less than 1 cm (1/4") from the edge. I can only see it when looking at the print at an angle at which I can see a light reflection along the edge, otherwise it is not visible at all. If you have a look at this thread, http://www.apug.org/forums/forum46/8...-mounting.html, there is a photo of the issue attached to post #4. If you have never experienced it with this paper, I am pleasantly jealous.

Rafal
    Good example, thank you. I can't say that I've ever seen that on my prints, but I will be more aware of it now. I dry mount my prints to acid-free foam core with light pressure and at 195 degrees for 2 minutes. I also use a sheet of butcher paper on top. I don't know if any of what I do makes a difference. I'll definitely be on the lookout for the problem.
    Bob Walberg

The fix is in!

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mentioned on John Sexton's Web Site - A Happy Day for Me

I suppose the flexibility of foam-core works to your advantage. In any case, this issue is not a widely reported one, perhaps it is a function of the working methods and materials. Also, it is faint, and not easily noticed...

By the way, I am over the moon, and very happy to see a lovely mention on John Sexton's web page. I noticed it today, and it has made my day! While I realise that I am beating my own drum, I hope others might share in my happiness. Have a look at this page, and scroll to the bottom, where my article got mentioned: http://www.johnsexton.com/workshop_endorsements.html

Rafal
    Rafal Lukawiecki

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin